Koodo Community
Solved

Can't receive text messages after transfering phone number

• 26 May 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I recently transfered my phone number from another provider to Koodo. I have followed the steps given here. It has been several days and, while my phone number has succesfully been transfered, I am unable to receive text messages. Strangely the exception to this is that if I send a text message to someone myself, I am able to receive their reply. What should I do to get this problem fixed?

Some more information that you may find relevant:

-I can send text messages and phone calls just fine. I can also use my mobile data with no problem. The only problem is what I described above.

-I recently tried switching my sim card back to my old one momentarily, and when I did that, the text messages sent to me which I  had missed have shown up. It’s as if the text messages are still sent to me through my old provider.

-I tried resolving the issue using the Koodo digital assistant, which led me to checking that my APN setting match the ones on this page. They do match and that hasn’t resolved the issue.

-When I log in to koodomobile.com, the page I am directed to fails to load and reads “Sorry, this information is unavailable right now. Please refresh the page”. I am however able to go to the Self serve section and view all the pages in there correctly.

-My phone is an Android phone (Motorolla G5) and I’m using Messages as my texting app. Reading about similar issues online led me to try installing and using another texting app to see if that could fix the issue. It did not.

Let me know if you need more info.

Many thanks,

-Guillaume

icon

Best answer by DatLemonDoe 30 May 2022, 23:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you keep the same phone while switching?

As well, I know you said you followed all the steps but I just want to make sure that you replied YES to the port confirmation text after porting your number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@DatLemonDoe - It looks like the port request was cancelled by the system.  Looks like it might have been a typo with the IMEI number.

Is the service still active with your old provider? If yes, can you please try submitting the  port with your old account number instead? It’s also very important to remember to reply to the SMS you’ll get as Allan mentioned above. 

Let us know what happens :) 

@Allan M Yes I did keep the same phone, and I did reply YES to the port confirmation text.

@Chris Koodo Yes, I still have service with my old provider. I recall having to enter my account number with my old provider as part of the transfer procedure, so I think I already did what you’re suggesting (?). I see on the Koodo website that I have the option to cancel the transfer and start over again, which I wanted to do to check the IMEI number and see if I could understand what you meant by old account number, but after I clicked cancel, the transfer still shows as pending, So cancelling did nothing.

The page read and still reads:

Transfer status : Pending

Transfer status: We are having a problem transferring your number ###-###-####. Please go to koodo.com/chat and enter "#HelpSS" to schedule a callback.

What do you suggest doing from here? I don’t think that sceduling a callback is the way to go since I if I can’t receive texts I doubt I can receive calls (haven’t tried).

Thanks very much to both of you for the help.

-Guillaume

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did a little more digging and it looks like our system didn’t get the Text reply within the 90 minutes. I can have someone re-submit the port on our end but that means you’ll receive another text that needs a reply within 90 minutes OR you can schedule a callback to an alternate number. 

Alright the problem is fixed. For future readers: What we did is reset the number transfer and start over from the start. The one thing I did differently is that even though the transfer text message I received was in french and asked for me to reply “OUI”, which I did the first time, this time I replied “YES”. The transfer was completed right away. That might not actually have been the issue, but it’s worth a try if you’re facing the same problem.