Koodo Community

best advice on travel in europe?

• 17 March 2023
  • 2 replies

I will be travelling in europe soon and i want to have a phone available in case of emergency.   I’ve read about Easy Roam, but $16/day on top of my regular plan will run me several hundred dollars for the duration of my trip.   I’m also reading there are gaps and problems with the service, even when travelling in established networks like France and Germany.   I’m looking for feedback on whether I should: (A) buy Easy Roam and hope it works while I’m there and suck up the cost; (B) leave my phone on airplane mode while in europe unless in an emergency only…..will i still incur fees if I only use my phone when hooked up to wifi; or (C) leave my phone at home and buy a “burner” phone while travelling in europe?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It'll probably be reliable enough but I'd get a local sim card. Especially if you'll be in multiple countries, as the EU has a free roaming agreement. Get a plan in the EU wherever and it'll continue to work, perhaps with a lower data allotment. You may need to receive sms for TFA with banks or something so perhaps take it with you, and take out the sim card unless you need it. Make sure data roaming is disabled on your phone then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For reliability, buy a burner and local plan. No way of having problems with frequencies, roaming and other inconveniences. SMS from banks probably won’t make the hop to Europe anyway. Record an “away”message on your Koodo phone voicemail, turn it off, and check into your messages once in a while.