Koodo Community
Solved

Any way to priorize wifi calling over mobile network ?

• 13 February 2023
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

35 replies

Userlevel 2

They wont let your OnePLus on wifi really? I had no issue with videotron, called them and in 2 min wifi calling was enable 0$ on my previous OP5. 

It’s a bummer in 2023 imo, videotron is 30x smaller than telus and they offer this since they exist as a mobile provider. 

And I confirm, same location, same device, now with videotron, wifi calling AUTOMATICALLY switch on when the mobile signal is too low. I nerver missed a call.

Also, Im not done with them, they call me to pay bill (which I ve returned the phone 5 days after, they didn’t reimburse me yet the cellphone. Returned feb 9 , now feb 25 , nothing credited. 

And also, people , think it twice, this non sense cost me time, fuel and 2x credit  check ! Overall, at my paygrade, probably more than the phone value itself. 

Userlevel 1

No, they refused to enable wi-fi calling or VoLTE on my OP, as they said it was not purchased through them, and not on their list of approved phones. Even my Nokia 8 before the OP, they would not provision it for me. But for my US and EU sims, not a problem, it worked right from the start.

This S22 with Koodo will sometimes switch to wi-fi (like in my basement with no signal), and it’s great when it does. But it doesn’t always do it, and I suspect that they have a high threshold for mobile signal before it switches to wifi (low signal vs no signal).  I get between 2-3 bars in front of a window on the top floor of my house, it changes frequently. So I think when it sees 3 bars, it thinks the signal is good enough; but a few seconds later, the signal might drop to 2, to the point of affecting the voice quality during a call, or just not ringing for an incoming call. But since it is locked on ‘mobile preferred’, it doesn’t make the transfer to wifi.

I know some providers are more relaxed with enabling certain features with bring your own phones not purchased from the provider; but when they restrict something like wifi calling preferred, from a phone you purchased from them, well that simply makes no sense. Maybe I’ll have to look at Videotron, if Koodo won’t fix this problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, they refused to enable wi-fi calling or VoLTE on my OP, as they said it was not purchased through them, and not on their list of approved phones. Even my Nokia 8 before the OP, they would not provision it for me. But for my US and EU sims, not a problem, it worked right from the start.

This S22 with Koodo will sometimes switch to wi-fi (like in my basement with no signal), and it’s great when it does. But it doesn’t always do it, and I suspect that they have a high threshold for mobile signal before it switches to wifi (low signal vs no signal).  I get between 2-3 bars in front of a window on the top floor of my house, it changes frequently. So I think when it sees 3 bars, it thinks the signal is good enough; but a few seconds later, the signal might drop to 2, to the point of affecting the voice quality during a call, or just not ringing for an incoming call. But since it is locked on ‘mobile preferred’, it doesn’t make the transfer to wifi.

I know some providers are more relaxed with enabling certain features with bring your own phones not purchased from the provider; but when they restrict something like wifi calling preferred, from a phone you purchased from them, well that simply makes no sense. Maybe I’ll have to look at Videotron, if Koodo won’t fix this problem. 

There wasn't any announcement from Koodo that they will have other option for wifi calling anytime soon.

So if the "wifi preferred" is a must for you, you might have to choose another carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out, without wasting hours of my time trying to get some answer from Koodo. Thanks for creating this thread.

Your post makes it clear that Telus/Koodo are not provisioning the sim with the ‘wi-fi preferred’ option.  I also have a US sim in my phone, and the option has always been there for me to choose wi-fi or mobile preferred, and it works perfectly.

I am coming from a OP 7T dual sim, Koodo would not provision wi-fi calling (or VoLTE), as it was not purchased from them, and not on their magical list. But my US and EU sims always worked for wi-fi calling, even when in Canada, and even without buying the phone from the provider.

The problem is that I have a totally crap Koodo signal in my house, many calls were simply not coming through; or the voice quality was all choppy. So since Koodo would not enable wi-fi calling / VolTE on my 7T, I ended up getting a new S22 through Koodo.

The S22 Wi-fi calling works when it wants to, but often, it will not switch over to wi-fi, when I am obviously having terrible mobile signals in my house - completely garbled & choppy voice connection over the mobile network. If I was able to choose wi-fi preferred, it would completely fix the problem. 

But now, 3 months in with the S22,  I’m stuck with a new phone and tab, and unable to force wi-fi preferred even though I obviously need it due to the lousy Koodo mobile signal in my house. 

We are so third-world with the way our cell providers restrict what we can and can’t choose for what works best for us.  You simply don’t have these issues in the US or EU with their providers.

It is not the best solution, but have you tried using this method to enable VoLTE and wifi calling on your OnePlus device? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/bell-telus-koodo-and-freedom-mobile-volte-and-vowifi-calling-working-update-android-11-require-root.4153631/

Userlevel 1

There wasn't any announcement from Koodo that they will have other option for wifi calling anytime soon.

So if the "wifi preferred" is a must for you, you might have to choose another carrier.

If my mobile signal was strong enough, and didn’t drop out constantly, I wouldn’t need wifi preferred. Koodo should make it clear up front that they do not allow the option of selecting prefer wifi calling in poor or intermittent reception areas. My AT&T, T-Mo, Vodafone UK sims all let me prefer wifi, and as cpt00 pointed out, Videotron also does. I’ll have to ask some Bell and Rogers users if they can also select prefer wifi. It’s simply nonsense that they would not unlock this function when provisioning the phone. 

Userlevel 1

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out, without wasting hours of my time trying to get some answer from Koodo. Thanks for creating this thread.

Your post makes it clear that Telus/Koodo are not provisioning the sim with the ‘wi-fi preferred’ option.  I also have a US sim in my phone, and the option has always been there for me to choose wi-fi or mobile preferred, and it works perfectly.

I am coming from a OP 7T dual sim, Koodo would not provision wi-fi calling (or VoLTE), as it was not purchased from them, and not on their magical list. But my US and EU sims always worked for wi-fi calling, even when in Canada, and even without buying the phone from the provider.

The problem is that I have a totally crap Koodo signal in my house, many calls were simply not coming through; or the voice quality was all choppy. So since Koodo would not enable wi-fi calling / VolTE on my 7T, I ended up getting a new S22 through Koodo.

The S22 Wi-fi calling works when it wants to, but often, it will not switch over to wi-fi, when I am obviously having terrible mobile signals in my house - completely garbled & choppy voice connection over the mobile network. If I was able to choose wi-fi preferred, it would completely fix the problem. 

But now, 3 months in with the S22,  I’m stuck with a new phone and tab, and unable to force wi-fi preferred even though I obviously need it due to the lousy Koodo mobile signal in my house. 

We are so third-world with the way our cell providers restrict what we can and can’t choose for what works best for us.  You simply don’t have these issues in the US or EU with their providers.

It is not the best solution, but have you tried using this method to enable VoLTE and wifi calling on your OnePlus device? https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/bell-telus-koodo-and-freedom-mobile-volte-and-vowifi-calling-working-update-android-11-require-root.4153631/

That was an old method, and rooting broke a whole bunch of other things on my OP.  With unrooted OP, I was able to apply some mods in engineering mode, which enabled wifi / VoLTE, but it came down to Koodo/Telus not allowing it in the ims provisioning. Never had a problem with any of my other international sims with wifi calling / VoLTE, in that phone, but Koodo simply refused to let it work. Which is why I ultimately switched to their S22. But not in 100 years would I have expected them to deliberately disable that innocent wifi preferred toggle. Especially since it works out of the box with all my other sims / providers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was an old method, and rooting broke a whole bunch of other things on my OP.  With unrooted OP, I was able to apply some mods in engineering mode, which enabled wifi / VoLTE, but it came down to Koodo/Telus not allowing it in the ims provisioning. Never had a problem with any of my other international sims with wifi calling / VoLTE, in that phone, but Koodo simply refused to let it work. Which is why I ultimately switched to their S22. But not in 100 years would I have expected them to deliberately disable that innocent wifi preferred toggle. Especially since it works out of the box with all my other sims / providers.

There is no provisioning for OnePlus phones on any Canadian carriers, which is a real shame. I agree that there should be at least wifi calling or VoLTE on non-compatible devices, as we eventually move away from the 3G network infrastructure. 

Userlevel 2

I confirm, Rogers and Bell does, tried it too with family member samsungs.

BTW I tried to force wifi calling with Koodo Sim card on my rooted OnePLus and it didn’t worked. m (and worked flawlessly with videotron)

Ive called 2 tech and 1 engineer at telus, they know this , its a internal policy, only few people complained about it, and it wont change anytime soon. 

So be it, but it was a lesson learned, I ve learned something and now sharing. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t tell people to avoid this provider, but simply if wifi calling is important, go somewhere else. Price was ok, and service was good to, they’ve answered my question. Now let see if Ill get my money back, 1200$, we will see.

Also, this week telus was on the shw marketplace/lafacture for hidden fees…. hey boi

I’ve been mostly happy with Koodo for the past ten years, however I live rurally and whereas for a long time wifi calling would be automatically engaged most of the time, that’s now changed to “never” which has rendered my phone unusable for calls. The cellular coverage is NEVER sufficient here for phone calls, but Koodo’s algorithm has decided otherwise. If they want to keep it as “algorithm decides” rather than a preference that the user can turn on or off, at least they could make it so it’s only invoked where there are a good 4-5 bars of coverage. 

I’m now faced with switching carriers, which I’d rather not do, but if this situation with wifi calling doesn’t change, that’s what I’m going to have to do. Paying for a phone that’s (mostly) useless as a phone doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. 

Glad i came across this thread.. but also very frustrating a carrier doesnt think this is a value add/boost to the service offering.

If there are any Koodo employees monitoring these threads please bump this up to your leadership. This feature should be viewed as win-win for provider/consumer.