Koodo Community
Question

5G Plan not working on iPhone 12

• 12 November 2023
  • 16 replies

Hi folks, I switched to a Koodo 5G plan a couple weeks ago and my iPhone 12 is still only showing LTE. 

I live in downtown New Westminster BC, which is on the 5G map (I can actually see the 5G towers on the building across the street). I’ve updated my firmware to iOS 17.1, restarted the phone multiple times, removed/reinstalled the SIM, select “5G On” instead of “5G Auto”, and still no luck. 

The only option I haven’t tried is converting to eSIM, but my SIM is fairly recent from 2021. 

Any other options to try?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you tried to reset network settings of the phone to see if that can help?

As well, can you run a speed test to see which speed you can have as of now?

Have you tried to reset network settings of the phone to see if that can help?

As well, can you run a speed test to see which speed you can have as of now?

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried reseting network settings but I’m still only seeing LTE.

Google speed test on LTE is 12.4 Mbps down / 3.0 Mbps up. Seems pretty bad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think you might be in a bad spot for signal receptions given the speed. Are you certain that the tower is a 5G Telus tower? (not a Rogers's). 

As well, are you using a VPN on your phone?

I think you might be in a bad spot for signal receptions given the speed. Are you certain that the tower is a 5G Telus tower? (not a Rogers's). 

Yes 100% it’s a Telus tower. No VPN on my phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was odd. I recommend you visit a Koodo location in the area and ask the rep to check.

If you have another physical SIM or if you want to switch to eSIM, I recommend you try to do that to rule out  issues with the SIM card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you try putting your SIM card in another phone to see if you are experiencing the same network speeds?

Can you try putting your SIM card in another phone to see if you are experiencing the same network speeds?

No I only have the one phone

That was odd. I recommend you visit a Koodo location in the area and ask the rep to check.

If you have another physical SIM or if you want to switch to eSIM, I recommend you try to do that to rule out  issues with the SIM card.

I just tried switching to an eSIM, it is unfortunately stuck on activating now. 

I will try swinging by a Koodo location. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you switched to an eSIM, can you remove the physical SIM out and restart the phone? Sometimes, Two SIM of the same number can confuse the phone.

If you switched to an eSIM, can you remove the physical SIM out and restart the phone? Sometimes, Two SIM of the same number can confuse the phone.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no success there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If so, was the physical sim working? Have you got a chance to visit a Koodo location yet?

If so, was the physical sim working? Have you got a chance to visit a Koodo location yet?

The physical SIM was working until I converted it to eSIM, now it is deactivated. 

I just got back from the Koodo store, I bought a new eSIM and added it to my self serve account. Unfortunately after an hour of “activating” it produced the same error message “Your eSIM could not be activated. Contact Koodo for assistance”. The guys at the store were unsure of what the issue is and advised I contact Koodo support, but since my cell service is no longer functioning I’ll need to figure out a VOIP service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was really strange. I wonder if the issue was from the hardware itself. How did you get the iPhone 12? Was it from Koodo originally?

Regarding the support, let me flag a rep to see if they can provide more insight 

That was really strange. I wonder if the issue was from the hardware itself. How did you get the iPhone 12? Was it from Koodo originally?

Regarding the support, let me flag a rep to see if they can provide more insight 

I’ve wondered if it’s the hardware as well. I did get the iPhone from Koodo 2 years ago. 

I was able to setup a VOIP service and booked a callback from Koodo tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can sort it out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @ragingviking 

Unfortunately we could not find the account through your log in method. we would recommend to log in via the Self Serve option of the website.  

I would recommend waiting for the call-back so that our tech support team can look into the situation and find a resolve. 

Hi there @ragingviking 

Unfortunately we could not find the account through your log in method. we would recommend to log in via the Self Serve option of the website.  

I would recommend waiting for the call-back so that our tech support team can look into the situation and find a resolve. 

Thanks I actually just got off the callback, support was great and able to get the eSIM working.

Also with the eSIM working 5G is now working, download speed is much better at 130 Mbps.