Koodo Community
Solved

Transfer number from a multi-number plan

• 9 August 2021
  • 5 replies

I just signed up with Koodo so I can have my own plan with data. I have been on a family plan and would like to transfer my number since I have so many things connected to my existing number.

The steps are easy to transfer the number but I read that Koodo cancels the previous phone plan service for me automatically. Since my family is still using that plan I want to make sure their plan isn’t being cancelled. I would just like to keep the number from that plan and transfer it to the plan I have now with Koodo. 

If I transfer my number the traditional online route, will it impact their plan or will it just remove my number from their end?

icon

Best answer by Goran 9 August 2021, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah….you cannot shift numbers from one postpaid line to another. Apparently it’s posible...I recall it being mentioned here, but that it’s not well known and there’s no guarantees it can be done. Thew typical advice given is that you must port the number out, and then back into Koodo again. You can spin off the to its own account or another account, but the line goes whole, plan included. Or did I misunderstand wrong and you mean the family plan is with another carrier? As far as I understand family plans, you add lines to share x amount of data, and you pay a smaller amount per line...it should be fine in that the family plan retains the same amount of data, and it just goes one line smaller. That line will be cancelled once you port it to Koodo.

perfect thank you. Yes I should have specified the family plan is from another carrier. I just wanted to make sure that transferring my number from another carrier’s family plan to my new Koodo one won’t cancel the entire family plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Taking a quick look at Telus’s version, the total amount discounted per line will decrease, but the overall account will remain active. This should be the same for any other carrier with family plan options.

thank you so much!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You just need to double check how the plans are setup.

If you're on an older style share plan then things could get screwed up when you port out depending on how it's setup.

I would call your carrier just to confirm that everything would be okay with the plans before you swap.