Koodo Community

Recurring Issue with Email Verification Code During SIM Swap and Workaround

• 13 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Recently, I ran into a problem while attempting to change my SIM card via the Self Serve > Mobile Services section on the website. I noticed that this issue has been raised in this forum before, but the only solutions provided have been to "check your spam folder", "return to the store for immediate assistance", or "schedule a call for the following day through the website's automated system". These solutions are neither practical nor immediate, especially when the issue is present and needs to be resolved now. Therefore, I've decided to share a detailed account of the problem I encountered and the workaround I discovered:

Action Taken:

1. Logged into my account
  2. Navigated to Self Serve > Mobile Services
  3. Selected the option to Change your SIM card
  4. Entered the new SIM details
  5. Waited for the system to dispatch a verification code

Expected Response: An email should have been delivered containing the verification code.

Actual Response: No email was delivered. I performed a message trace in Exchange and found that no email was even dispatched to me.

Summary: The system failed to send an Email Verification Code during the SIM swap process. It appears that there may be an issue with Koodo's email server or script that needs debugging.

Workaround: I found a workaround for this issue, which involves calling Koodo's customer service. Here are the steps:

1. From an active phone, call 1-866-995-6636.
  2. Enter your phone number when prompted.
  3. When asked for the reason for your call, say "Lost or Stolen". The system will guide you through the process of suspending your service. Confirm that you want to suspend your service.
  4. Once the system confirms that your service has been suspended, hang up and call back.
  5. Again, say "Lost or Stolen" when asked for the reason for your call. The system will guide you through the process of reactivating your phone.
  6. Select option 2: restore on a different device.
  7. When asked for the SIM serial, enter the entire number, including the 891223 prefix that the website populated for you previously.
  8. The final steps are completed on your phone. Go to your device's "Cellular" settings and look for an option like "eSim Activate" or something similar. Scan the QR code and your phone should be activated.

I hope this workaround helps anyone else who encounters this issue. Koodo, please look into the email dispatch issue for SIM swaps.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@TheLaserGuy - Thank you for sharing your very detailed experience with us. We’re going to forward this off to our Self Serve team to get to the bottom of why you would have not been sent the verification code. 

Userlevel 1

@TheLaserGuy - Thank you for sharing your very detailed experience with us. We’re going to forward this off to our Self Serve team to get to the bottom of why you would have not been sent the verification code. 

My pleasure. Knowledge is meant to be shared! 

Hello ! Did you solve the problem ?

I’m having the same problem as decrypted, but I don’t have a second phone at disposition to call the customer service. Is there any way to help ?

Userlevel 1

Hello ! Did you solve the problem ?

I’m having the same problem as decrypted, but I don’t have a second phone at disposition to call the customer service. Is there any way to help ?

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem that they’ve done anything to correct this issue yet. 

If you’re able to borrow or otherwise use anybody’s phone, you can follow the steps I’ve outlined. You’re able to call their customer service number from any payphone for free (All 1-8** numbers are toll-free)

I’ve tried several times but it seems like they immediately restore my actual device and they doesn’t ask me to restore on a different device with a different sim card

Userlevel 1

I’ve tried several times but it seems like they immediately restore my actual device and they doesn’t ask me to restore on a different device with a different sim card

You’ve gotta hang up and give it a minute. 

But it sounds like it’s doing the same thing at first, it takes a few prompts in before the message switches from “suspend” to “restore”