Koodo Community
Question

My SIM suddenly stopped working.

I tried turning off and on the phone; then tried ejecting and reinserting the SIM card while the phone was turned off.  My data is at it’s max and I need to add extra data, but I can’t receive texts.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you send texts?  Can you make and take calls?

When you login to your self serve, are you all paid up?

My payment is due June 20, but I just paid it to be safe.  I cannot receive calls or sent texts.  When I try to make a call it I get a radio off message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check your phone to make sure airplane mode is off and your network connection is 4G/WCDMA (Auto) and Carrier is set to automatic

Thanks Dennis. My airplane mode is off, but I’m not sure how to check for the network connection or carrier to set to automatic.  When I click on networks it only shows my wifi network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Typically it is in your settings app under Connections>Mobile Networks or Cellular>Cellular Network

If you cant find it, can you tell us What phone you have?

I have a pixel 3a.  There is nothing called connections.  I have “calls and SMS” (temporarily unavailable);  “SIMS (Koodo)” is set to automatically select network; but can’t find the setting you mention.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Settings > Network & internet > SIMS > Preferred network type > Try Global or LTE/GSM/UMTS

You can also try to reset your network settings

Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Note that any bluetooth and wifi connections and passwords will be lost.

My preferred network is currently LTE.  I did the reset of the WiFi, mobile, Bluetooth and still no connection.

Will I need to go to the Koodo store and get a new SIM card?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you change preferred network to WCDMA or UMTS or HSPA /LTE

Can you pop your sim into a working phone (Friend or family) to see if it works

No.  The only options are LTE, 3G and 2G, None works.  I could perhaps try using it in a different card.  Will have to wait a while to try that.  If it doesn’t work, should I go to the mobile store?  Many thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah try a family or friend (ideally with Koodo/Telus) that has a working device and sim.  Try your sim in their phone and their sim in your phone and see if the issue follows your phone or your sim.  Based on the result of that I think we can deduce where the issue lie.  If it lies with the sim, then I would try to get a new sim.

Thanks for your help, Dennis.  I will try this.