Koodo Community
Solved

Can I transfer my number to Koodo while abroad?

Hi everyone. Can I transfer my Canadian number to Koodo using Self-serve while I’m abroad?

I will have to make the transfer while outside of Canada. Does anyone have experience with this?

Or do I have to do it while I’m in Canada?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Flo Koodo 1 May 2022, 16:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, that’s a bit hard to say based on the information you gave. Do you already have a Koodo plan? Who are you with now?

I have a post-paid plan of $15 per month. I’m with Fido and my phone is unlocked and I have no contract with Fido

Well, that’s a bit hard to say based on the information you gave. Do you already have a Koodo plan? Who are you with now?

I have a post-paid Koodo plan of $15 per month. I’m with Fido and my phone is unlocked and I have no contract with Fido

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that case, I see no reason why you couldn’t transfer your number. You might need to have your Fido number ready to receive an SMS to confirm the transfer, but it should go through.

In that case, I see no reason why you couldn’t transfer your number. You might need to have your Fido number ready to receive an SMS to confirm the transfer, but it should go through.

Do you mean I have to activate International Roaming at Fido so that I can receive the SMS from Fido while I’m outside of Canada? And this activation process with Koodo will still work even when the Koodo SIM card is outside of Canada?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, I confess I am not entirely sure about the process. Let me flag a rep for you who can hopefully confirm or deny what the process would be exactly… hang tight.

Well, I confess I am not entirely sure about the process. Let me flag a rep for you who can hopefully confirm or deny what the process would be exactly… hang tight.

Yes, please. I will be waiting. Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Technically, you could. However, there are a lot of obstacles if you are not physically in Canada. Are you looking at prepaid or postpaid service?

Firstly, Koodo only ship the SIM to a Canadian address so you need someone in Canada to pick up the SIM for you. That person might have to send the sim to you later. 
Secondly, Number transfer is also a complicated thing. You need to validate your Fido number. So extra money for Fido roaming.
thirdly, payment is also complicated. I assumed you had a Canada bank account/credit card to pay.

Technically, you could. However, there are a lot of obstacles if you are not physically in Canada. Are you looking at prepaid or postpaid service?

Firstly, Koodo only ship the SIM to a Canadian address so you need someone in Canada to pick up the SIM for you. That person might have to send the sim to you later. 
Secondly, Number transfer is also a complicated thing. You need to validate your Fido number. So extra money for Fido roaming.
thirdly, payment is also complicated. I assumed you had a Canada bank account/credit card to pay.

Hi, I already have a Koodo SIM and mine is post-paid and it’s already in service. For Fido, I will activate the International Roaming function, so it will be able to receive international test messages. As for payment, I have a Canadian credit card to pay for it so it’s not a problem. Is there any other difficulties that I may encounter? Please let me know.

My other concerns are: 1. will my fido number still receive the conformation text message from Fido while I’m outside of Canada? 2. And will the transfer process with Koodo still work even when the Koodo SIM card is outside of Canada? Will I be able to transfer my Koodo after I answer “Yes” to the message from Fido?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Martin576 

You should be able to complete the port request in self serve, using the steps here:https://koo.do/PortIn

As long as you are able to receive verification text and reply to it to authorize the port, there shouldn’t be any issue.

In case of a port issue, the process will be canceled and number will remain with the Fido sim.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks! 

Hi @Martin576 

You should be able to complete the port request in self serve, using the steps here:https://koo.do/PortIn

As long as you are able to receive verification text and reply to it to authorize the port, there shouldn’t be any issue.

In case of a port issue, the process will be canceled and number will remain with the Fido sim.

Thanks! 

Hi @Martin576 

Thanks! 

Hey, just to let you know, it worked perfectly!