Koodo Community
Solved

can i receive texts while outside of Canada for 2FA?

• 7 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone!

I'm travelling and will be living outside of Canada for 2-4 months every year. I'm outside as I write this and I have been unable to log into several of my accounts(banks, etc.) In Canada as I can't do a 2FA as I'm not receiving texts. Here's my question: can I receive texts intentionally with my Koodo number on easyroam free of charge or will I be charged $12/day or wherever the amount is these days?

If I'll be charged then what is the best alternative for me to receive 2FA texts without having to pay $12/day for them? I have a local number here so can I use that to forward all texts to this number?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 10 October 2022, 19:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi everyone!

I'm travelling and will be living outside of Canada for 2-4 months every year. I'm outside as I write this and I have been unable to log into several of my accounts(banks, etc.) In Canada as I can't do a 2FA as I'm not receiving texts. Here's my question: can I receive texts intentionally with my Koodo number on easyroam free of charge or will I be charged $12/day or wherever the amount is these days?

If I'll be charged then what is the best alternative for me to receive 2FA texts without having to pay $12/day for them? I have a local number here so can I use that to forward all texts to this number?

Thanks!

You can receive them for free, as long as you are not using any data, making or receiving any calls, or send any text messages while abroad.

To avoid any data overages, you can remove the International Data Roaming add-on from your Self-Serve account. 

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

You can receive them for free, as long as you are not using any data, making or receiving any calls, or send any text messages while abroad.

To avoid any data overages, you can remove the International Data Roaming add-on from your Self-Serve account. 

I tried my best to remove this add on but the system won't do it and it's asking me to call in instead. I'm unable to call due to my aim to avoid roaming charges so this is going in circles.

Thanks🤓

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which country did you travel to? If it was US then the trick of removing data add-on wouldn't work.

Also please Don't forward text to another number or you will trigger easyroam fee (or pay per use).

I will flag a rep here to remove the data roaming for you

Hello @akshu dutt! We have removed the International Data Roaming add-on from your line. Please make sure to also turn off the data option and the roaming option in your phone’s settings.

Which country did you travel to? If it was US then the trick of removing data add-on wouldn't work.

Also please Don't forward text to another number or you will trigger easyroam fee (or pay per use).

I will flag a rep here to remove the data roaming for you

Thanks so much for all the help.  I travelled to India via Dubai. I still have two add ons enabled that i cant disable without calling in but I hope they wont be an issue. I’ll make sure to turn off roaming option. Thanks everyone!