Koodo Community
Solved

Can BYOD and activation be done completely online? (from overseas)

• 31 December 2021
  • 7 replies

I’m currently overseas and I’m thinking of switching to Koodo. Is it possible to activate and use my phone without having to be physically present, such as to receive a sim card? I would need an esim and it looks like I could have someone purchase one for me and send me a picture of the QR code, so I guess I need to know if I need a physical sim before switching to esim?

edit: I’d also be porting over my number from Shaw mobile

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 31 December 2021, 09:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m currently overseas and I’m thinking of switching to Koodo. Is it possible to activate and use my phone without having to be physically present, such as to receive a sim card? I would need an esim and it looks like I could have someone purchase one for me and send me a picture of the QR code, so I guess I need to know if I need a physical sim before switching to esim?

There are a few major issues to consider before you make this decision: 

1. You need to have a Canadian address to receive the SIM card in the mail. Is there anyone that can pick it up for you and send it to you?
  2. Even if you complete the first step, you need to pay with a Canadian credit card. The Koodo system does not allow you to order online if they cannot verify that your address listed on your credit card is the same one as the one listed on your Self-Serve account.
  3. Someone can grab an eSIM for you at a Koodo store, but they need to confirm and verify your identification and make sure that the person is an authorized party to gain access to your account. 

So I do need to receive the physical sim card to activate before I can switch to an esim?

Canadian address and credit card aren’t a problem. An additional detail that I forgot to mention is that I’d be porting over my number. I’m not sure if this changes anything in the process.

Time is of the essence which is why I’d like to complete the process online, but I could have the physical sim shipped to me if necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I do need to receive the physical sim card to activate before I can switch to an esim?

Canadian address and credit card aren’t a problem. An additional detail that I forgot to mention is that I’d be porting over my number. I’m not sure if this changes anything in the process.

Time is of the essence which is why I’d like to complete the process online, but I could have the physical sim shipped to me if necessary.

That would presumably be the case. Other than the things I mentioned in the previous post, as long as you have the proper documents required for the credit check, you should not face too many issues. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/credit-check-requirements

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This would depend on which phone you have. With iPhone, an eSIM voucher can be activated as the primary line only if a physical SIM has been previously activated. While some Android devices allow for SIM-free setup. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers 

Looks like in order to port a number I’ll be sent an SMS confirming the transfer which is part of my problem. The reason I’m in a hurry to switch is because I have no cellular reception at all. If I had a regular sim I guess I could mail it back to Canada and have someone confirm the transfer, but I’m already on an esim…

Time to contact Shaw I guess and see if they can do anything.

edit: Looks like the SMS for port transfer comes from my provider which I should receive even though I have no reception/roaming.

Seems like I should be able to make switch .

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

edit: Looks like the SMS for port transfer comes from my provider which I should receive even though I have no reception/roaming.

If you currently have no cell reception then a text message would not come through. The port SMS gets sent like any other SMS. If you don't gave reception then you can't receive texts so you won't receive this one either.

You can alternatively reach out to Shaw Mobile with 90 minutes of submitting the port and verify/confirm the port request over the phone with them.

I’ve still received messages from 611 Shaw which I assume is through text? Maybe the issue is that Shaw has no roaming partners, but can they can force through a text for themselves? I’m dual sim and have full reception with my local # and no reception with Shaw.

Anyway, looks like I have a couple options to try out and see what works.

Thanks everyone