Koodo Community
Solved

Abnormal Data usage recorded

• 9 July 2021
  • 9 replies

I’ve had this problem before in the past where an abnormally high amounts of data usage was recorded during times where either data was turned off or during times when I’m not using my phone. During this current cycle, Self-Serve showed that between 7:55am - 8:17am, a total of 3.4gb was used. at 7:55 about 1.5gb but at 8:17 exactly 2.2gb was used. 3.4 gb in roughly 20 mins. 

As this has happened in the past, I’ve contacted Koodo previously and have taken all their steps to restrict data usage. They even got me to contact Apple support to make sure nothing was wrong with my phone (which I did and Apple confirmed my phone is fine). Since the last time this happened, I also downloaded a data manager to track my data usage in more detail and by the time Koodo told me I used up 100% of my data, my tracker showed me I had 1.4 gb left. I compared how accurate this tracker was to Koodo’s self serve log and in general, the tracker is pretty accurate. 

When I’ve reached out to customer support, no one was really able to help me. They kept sending me to different people and everyone would all tell me the same typical thing “did you turn off wifi assist” (yes), background refresh to wifi only (yes), have you looked at your apps and see if they’re using a lot of data (yes). Looking back at past cycles for the past 9 months, I typically use 4-5gb max, I’m not using my phone any differently so blowing 3.4gb in 20 mins is very very unusual for me. 

I’m just wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and how to stop it from happening.

icon

Best answer by Dennis 10 July 2021, 06:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not really sure honestly. You seem to have done all the things you can do at the user end. I'm curious though…. What does the tracker show as having used all that data? Or did you confirm it doesn't match what Koodo is tracking?

I confirmed that it didn’t match with Koodo’s tracking. I use the My Data Manager app which seems to be a popular one. I also looked at my apps to see if any drained the data and none of them had any unusual usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I confirmed that it didn’t match with Koodo’s tracking. I use the My Data Manager app which seems to be a popular one. I also looked at my apps to see if any drained the data and none of them had any unusual usage. 

I would remove the my data manager app and see if that fixes anything for you.

I would remove the my data manager app and see if that fixes anything for you.

is there another app to track data usage that you’d recommend? I’ve had this app since this first happened (Dec 2020) and everything has been fine until this month. Its my main way to keep track of data usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm personally not aware if any data tracker apps causing abnormal data usage issues. I've experienced contesting wrong data charges before and unfortunately it requires perserverence through multiple reps usually to finally get it.

I'm personally not aware if any data tracker apps causing abnormal data usage issues. I've experienced contesting wrong data charges before and unfortunately it requires perserverence through multiple reps usually to finally get it.

this is very unfortunate to hear. Luckily, I’m at the end of my bill cycle so I can tough it out not having data but I’m really hoping to find a solution so this doesn’t happen again because this makes me very anxious - how randomly I could just “run out of data”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Suggestion: when you are home, turn mobile data OFF. You will still get calls, messages but internet can’t be anything other than via wifi. The only downside: you will have to re-activate mobile data to get SMS picture messages.

Some prepaid customers have reported “phantom” calls to voicemail number, yet Koodo’s hardline is: if it’s in your log, it’s chargeable, so don’t expect any sympathy from them.

Suggestion: when you are home, turn mobile data OFF. You will still get calls, messages but internet can’t be anything other than via wifi. The only downside: you will have to re-activate mobile data to get SMS picture messages.

Some prepaid customers have reported “phantom” calls to voicemail number, yet Koodo’s hardline is: if it’s in your log, it’s chargeable, so don’t expect any sympathy from them.

thanks for the suggestion! I’m actually a little wary of turning on and off my data. That’s what happened in Dec 2020. I got a text saying I was at 50% of the data so when I was at home I turned it off, that afternoon when I left the house, I turned it back on and immediately got a text saying I used 90% of the data. Ever since, I’ve been trying not to turn my data on and off in case that happens again. These “phantom” usages are very hard to deal with - it was a whole ordeal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you tracking the correct billing cycle date? 

You mention koodo saying you used  all your data but your data tracker said you have 1.4gb left. But you also said the tracker is accurate to koodo's self serve log. 

Let's try tracking your data with iPhone's data tracker in Settings. 

If you have an iPhone, under Settings>Cellular Data, you can reset your data usage manually here. It is best to do it at the end of your billing cycle. 

Now let the iPhone's settings app track all data that is used (total and per app). For your upcoming billing cycle you can track your iPhone's data use and koodo's sisde by side and also see which app is your main data user.

When you near the end of your billing cycle, take a screen shot of your iPhone's data tracking numbers, and then reset your data usage again for the next billing cycle. 

Make sure you are resetting at the end of your billing cycle date and not when your bill is due or at the end of the month.