Koodo Community
Question

where is NFC!?! Moto g 5G (2023)

• 21 September 2023
  • 11 replies

So I use an health app that requires NFC.  After breaking my old phone, I replaced with the Moto G 5G. Went to install the app and it said not compatible.  2023 edition using Android 13??

Turns out that there is no NFC.  Is there any app replacement?  Otherwise this brand new phone is a bit of a brick.  Cannot do Google pay tap payments, can't use the med app...  may as well cancel and just use my work phone!

Anyone have any ideas?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, in order to use NFC on a phone, it needs the appropriate hardware built into the phone. There is no app that will get you this functionality since the phone doesn’t have NFC hardware built in.

Thanks. That was my fear.  Anyone need a brand new motog5G?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the phone is still within the 15 or 30-day return period, consider returning it. The link below explains various return scenarios.

Returning or exchanging your Koodo phone

None of the Moto G series phones offered have NFC. The Moto Edge (2022) supports NFC but comes at a higher price point. The Samsung Galaxy A14 5G supports NFC and is similarly priced to the Moto G series, though the trade-off is lesser onboard storage capacity (64GB). 

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G | Koodo

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G Specs | GSMArena

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What’s your budget? We can suggest viable options. You do also have the option to buy used.

The S21 FE is currently cheaper on tab than the A14 (13.75 for 330 over 24 months), and is a flagship tier phone. It’s 11 a month. (264 over 24 months)

The Moto Edge (2022) with Koodo is currently 5 dollars a month on tab. (120 over 24 months) I don’t know for how long. 

If the phone is still within the 15 or 30-day return period, consider returning it. The link below explains various return scenarios.

Returning or exchanging your Koodo phone

None of the Moto G series phones offered have NFC. The Moto Edge (2022) supports NFC but comes at a higher price point. The Samsung Galaxy A14 5G supports NFC and is similarly priced to the Moto G series, though the trade-off is lesser onboard storage capacity (64GB). 

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G | Koodo

Samsung Galaxy A14 5G Specs | GSMArena

And I just spent a half hour clicking thru the various links to figure out how to do this. (On the returning or exchanging link)  I know it is possible, but I cannot see how.  Bought online.  

Thank you.  

What’s your budget? We can suggest viable options. You do also have the option to buy used.

The S21 FE is currently cheaper on tab than the A14 (13.75 for 330 over 24 months), and is a flagship tier phone. It’s 11 a month. (264 over 24 months)

The Moto Edge (2022) with Koodo is currently 5 dollars a month on tab. (120 over 24 months) I don’t know for how long. 

Edge looks fine to me, but as above, I cannot find the "exchange" button...

Ok, so I guess the answer is to ask the chatbot for direction.  They set up a website callback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This here outlines how to do a phone return:

Returning or exchanging your Koodo phone | Koodo Mobile

Right.  And that page gives the conditions but for online purchases, simply says:  

So, anyone who bought online can save time by asking the chatbot - who will schedule a callback and they will email you the return package info.  I could not find any other way to get the return package info on the site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right.  And that page gives the conditions but for online purchases, simply says:  

So, anyone who bought online can save time by asking the chatbot - who will schedule a callback and they will email you the return package info.  I could not find any other way to get the return package info on the site.

For future reference and since the phone was purchased online, the best option is to contact the webstore by email at koodo.webstore@koodomobile.com to initiate the return. The chatbot is another approach but sometimes takes more time.

Look at that.  On my phone it does not scroll over that info. Thanks.