Koodo Community
Question

Toll Free # Charge

• 18 February 2023
  • 5 replies

While I was visiting the states over new years my airliner lost my bag.

They then gave me a card with their phone numbers one being a toll free line.

I called multiple times to try to get through but I kept just waiting for a few hours.

Im just checking my monthly phone bill and it’s nearly $500. 
I was under the assumption toll free lines are free. Am I wrong?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“toll free” is a misleading term as it only applied to landline.

However, you were likely charged for roaming fee while you were in the states. It happened to all roaming calls actually.. It didn't matter if the number was a “toll free” or not.

However, you were likely charged for roaming fee while you were in the states. It happened to all roaming calls actually.. It didn't matter if the number was a “toll free” or not.

Is there anything I can do about it? I had data roaming off, the charges are from minutes.

am I able to appeal it at all? I can’t afford it..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is there anything I can do about it? I had data roaming off, the charges are from minutes.

Could you go into your self-serve, go to billing and check the page 3 and 4 of it? Is possible, can you post it here? Hide/delete all personal information before posting please. These pages should have extra detail of how minutes or data you used while roaming 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is unlikely you will get the charges waived, but you can try to schedule a callback through Koodo Assist and speak with a rep to get it reduced. If you are still unable to pay it off, they can set up a payment arrangement for you. https://Koo.do/Chat 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Toll free numbers mean you don’t pay any long distance charges to call them. Most mobile plans today include long distance, or “toll” charges, so it doesn’t help you. But, you were charged for your mobile network “airtime” - which is not waived when calling “toll free” numbers.