Koodo Community
Question

Question about phone upgrade and SIM card blues

• 12 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi. I made a big idiot mistake when I picked up a new phone upgrade - which is to say I inserted the provided SIM card directly to the slot without the tray. Bad case of skipping important steps.

It’s pretty snug in there, and so far the places I’ve reached out to have said the best they can do is try to pull it from the outside because of the way the phone model is made (Pixel 6a).  I don’t see that working.

I purchased the phone as an upgrade to my current one (also with Koodo). To be clear the old one works, it’s just sluggish with apps. 

That being the case: I’m not fully savvy on the upgrade process - theoretically, would my old phone be able to continue to function as my phone as-is, if the new one cannot be fixed? Or am I going to one day find out that my phone number has been “transferred” to a phone that hasn’t been properly activated?

Basically- if the phone number is going to stay indefinitely on the old device, I will have more time to try to find someone that could deal with a more complex repair job. If not, I’d love to know how long I have.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The SIM card that shipped with your Pixel 6a is not activated. We often suggest that customers use this SIM card as a spare, provided the SIM card from their old phone fits into the new phone. The phone number transfer is done through your Self Serve account. If you did not activate the new SIM card through Self Serve, you should be able to use your old phone as-is.

As for SIM card removal, a thin piece of plastic card (old bank card or similar) and a light application of fast acting adhesive (e.g. krazy glue) are all the tools needed. The link to the video, Removing stuck SIM card, better demonstrates this procedure. I have performed this repair for friends who ran into this predicament and it worked perfectly. If you are not comfortable doing this repair, a repair shop should be able to extract the SIM card.

Removing stuck SIM card

The SIM card that shipped with your Pixel 6a is not activated. We often suggest that customers use this SIM card as a spare, provided the SIM card from their old phone fits into the new phone. The phone number transfer is done through your Self Serve account. If you did not activate the new SIM card through Self Serve, you should be able to use your old phone as-is.

As for SIM card removal, a thin piece of plastic card (old bank card or similar) and a light application of fast acting adhesive (e.g. krazy glue) are all the tools needed. The the link to the video, Removing stuck SIM card, better demonstrates this procedure. I have performed this repair for friends who ran into this predicament and it worked perfectly. If you are not comfortable doing this repair, a repair shop should be able to extract the SIM card.

Removing stuck SIM card

That’s great to know! I’ll definitely give the glue trick a shot. But worst case at least I still have a phone that can phone people.