Koodo Community
Question

Buying a phone bought from Koodo from Facebook Marketplace

• 30 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Hey!

So, I'm not currently a Koodo customer (yet), and I understand that this post might not be the typical content you see here. However, I would really appreciate your help. I'm planning on buying a new phone from Facebook Marketplace. I know you can ask me why I don't purchase directly from Koodo, but I'm trying to find a good deal. Many stores like Walmart and The Source basically force you to buy their phones with a plan, which tends to overprice them. That's why I would prefer to get an unlocked phone that doesn't break the bank and then use it with a carrier that doesn't have a contract, like you guys or your brother, Public Mobile.

Anyway, I've done my due diligence, and the seller doesn't seem to have any major red flags that are obvious. The phone is sealed, both front and back. The writing on the back has no spelling mistakes and matches the official box. The seal is also intact. I requested the IMEI, which matches the model and still has warranty (as far as I know). There is a clear ring of S23 Ultra scammers who seem to spoof the IMEIs, make excuses for the missing back of the box, and sell the phones for $500 CAD, which is definitely a scam. However, I haven't seen any obvious sketchy base S23 models so far. The seller's Facebook account is quite old, with information about education, job, and a few posts. They also sell 2 or 3 other items that are not related to electronics.

Here's why I'm posting here. The seller doesn't have a receipt, but they showed me the plan they got it with from Koodo. They claim to have purchased a Christmas offer from Koodo for their son, but unfortunately, their son wants an iPhone, so they're trying to sell this phone. I'm wondering if meeting the seller at a Koodo store can help. Could a rep at the store be allowed to check the phone, get proof of purchase as the seller doesn't have a receipt, and see if the phone is associated with a plan based on the IMEI or if it has insurance of some sort? I've heard of scams where people get phones from a carrier with insurance, sell the phone, and then claim it as lost. There's also a chance that they obtained the phones at a discount based on a commitment to a carrier, and assuming they intend to break that commitment (and not pay the proper amounts), the carrier would blacklist the device. I don't want to be sold anything, and I also don't want to be given the runaround and be told to call Koodo's Customer Service number.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you buy directly from someone on Facebook, it is a personal transaction. Koodo can’t void or approve the transaction. You are the one who do your own due diligence for the purchase.

Here are some tips that could follow:

• Check the IMEI of the device to see if it was black listed or not https://www.devicecheck.ca/consumers/
  • Meet the person in a public area, where there are cameras. Ask the person to show an valid ID and ask them to show the Koodo account online with the same name on the ID. You could also do the transaction in a police station https://www.vancouverpolicefoundation.org/2023/01/safe-buying-selling-exchange-site/
  • Test the phone by putting your SIM card into it to make sure the phone can run properly.
  • If you feel the seller is pushing you or don’t provide proper information when you meet, you can walk away from it. Nobody can force you into buying.

Anyway, even if you follow those tips, there are still a small chance the device could be blacklisted later if they don’t pay Koodo. So if you want, you could ask them when the person open the account with Koodo to see if they are a long-term (reliable) customer or not.

Thanks for your response Dinh. However I’m asking if meeting at a Koodo store would be more appropriate. Can the rep working there verify if the seller is the legitimate owner by checking if the IMEI is registered under his/her account and unpaid bills etc? Also I’m wondering if they can deactivate the IMEI under his/her account so I won’t be insurance scammed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for your response Dinh. However I’m asking if meeting at a Koodo store would be more appropriate. Can the rep working there verify if the seller is the legitimate owner by checking if the IMEI is registered under his/her account and unpaid bills etc? Also I’m wondering if they can deactivate the IMEI under his/her account so I won’t be insurance scammed.

Account number and IMEI is customer private information. Koodo reps can't provide/confirm it to you if you ask them directly yourself. And technically you aren't the one who bought the phone from Koodo, you can't ask to deactivate the imei.

The other person can print out their own invoice and information from their account and show you on that. You can also ask them to log into Koodo account online if the person is willing when you meet in person.