Koodo Community
Question

Why does VoLTE show up on my PREPAID TELUS account but NOT on Koodo PREPAID

Userlevel 2

I am in the process of transferring from my Telus Prepaid to Koodo Prepaid. Both accounts are still active (for another day or so).

I notice that I have VoLTE active when I use my Telus Prepaid SIM but when I switch to the Koodo SIM I lose VoLTE and if I switch back I get it back. And that is even though Telus advertises that VoLTE is NOT available for Prepaid on either Telus or Koodo.

So why do I have access to VoLTE on Telus Prepaid and NOT on Koodo? The answer that VoLTE is NOT available for Prepaid seems artificial. Anyone have an answer?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The two types of services are made more separate than they need to be. If only we could know what the holdup is. It's really impacting US roaming for prepaid as well with this nonsense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The two types of services are made more separate than they need to be. If only we could know what the holdup is. It's really impacting US roaming for prepaid as well with this nonsense.

Cancel your switchover if you have any intention of using your phone in the US. Been a Koodo prepaid customer for 5+ years, with $$$ invested in roaming boosters that just don’t work now, even though I invested in a VoLTE a capable phone compatible with their US roaming partners.

Userlevel 2

They are working on it… it is imminent according to this reply:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am wondering how you tested Volte with Telus as you mentioned Telus didn't support it. Was it just a toggle in your phone? Also, when you put Koodo SIM in the phone, did you reset network settings? 

Userlevel 2

Yes, it is a toggle that shows up with the Telus SIM card but it disappears with the Koodo SIM card.

I did not need to reset network settings (nor would I want to as I do not want to lose the many networks that I connect to and have to re-enter them all again).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, it is a toggle that shows up with the Telus SIM card but it disappears with the Koodo SIM card.

I did not need to reset network settings (nor would I want to as I do not want to lose the many networks that I connect to and have to re-enter them all again).

Which phone are you using? Some phone had the volte toggle but the phone actually didn't do any volte at all. You could test it by turning off your wifi, make a call and try to go online to a webpage at the same time. If you can access data then your phone is using volte. Also, you can check the top right of the phone to see if the phone keep LTE or switch to 3G when making a phone call.

A reset settings might be required in some situations for phone to be configured properly.

Userlevel 2

That would be a way to test it and I wish I could test it out. I did not have data with my Telus plan.

The thought came to me that maybe I saw the toggle for VoLTE with Telus because Telus/Koodo are in the process of making VoLTE available for Prepaid and they are in transition?

I know that according to this Koodo staff response, they are close to deploying VoLTE for Koodo:

That said, I still believe that the VoLTE toggle was always there. I was with Telus for years on prepaid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d say you’re right. They must be testing it right now on Telus as they say on their website that it isn’t available on prepaid yet:

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Userlevel 2

The more I think about it, I recall having the VoLTE toggle visible on my LG G4 from the time I bought it about 6 YEARS ago and using it with Telus Prepaid. Never had data, so could not test it from that angle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The more I think about it, I recall having the VoLTE toggle visible on my LG G4 from the time I bought it about 6 YEARS ago and using it with Telus Prepaid. Never had data, so could not test it from that angle.

The same thing with my Galaxy S7. The VoLTE toggle is visible when a prepaid TELUS SIM card is inserted into this phone. The S7 (and LG G4) were not on the list of compatible VoLTE devices when viewed by model number.

Scroll down to the heading ‘VoLTE support for listed IMEI range’. Both the LG G4 and Galaxy S7 are shown in this list, which I believe was added a couple of years ago.

You can check if your device is supported by entering the LG G4’s IMEI number (dial *#06# to get IMEI number) into the ‘Check if your phone is supported’ field. The S7 is supported. Your LG G4 should be supported as well. 

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

We’ll just have to wait for VoLTE deployment on prepaid.

Userlevel 2

Thanks. I already know that the LG G4 is supported.