Koodo Community
Solved

VoLTE Prepaid and USA Voice Roaming Update - Anyone?

• 13 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi, after experiencing major frustration with many different answers from call back agents and some well meaning but conflicting information here on the Community pages, I have another question about USA voice roaming with PrePaid boosters.

Is anyone currently in the USA able to use their voice booster now? I just noticed that my Koodo sim card is now IMS-Registered with Mobile Voice Network Type - LTE and Mobile Data Network Type - LTE. So, I interpret that as I am now VoLTE activated (and yes, I have VoLTE toggled on).

So, theoretically, now that my phone is VoLTE enabled, I should be able to voice roam in USA? I ask, because my Canadian boosters are starting to run low so prefer to buy annual plan. But, if I’m going to have trouble again with US voice roaming, then I will move to another carrier. I’ve been with Koodo 8 years, and despite frustration early this year, have been a very happy customer. 

So,  can anyone who is PrePaid and using USA voice roaming booster able to give us an update, please? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by BobTheElectrician 13 May 2023, 23:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. As long as your phone supports it. 

Koodo has a list of phones that do not support volte roaming here 

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Never got it to work (as of April 15/2023). Even spent $$$ to buy a whitelisted phone and have ~$75 worth of useless US boosters. Maybe they have fixed things since then, but it’s amazing how poorly a communications company can befuddle customers of long standing for months on end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Never got it to work (as of April 15/2023). Even spent $$$ to buy a whitelisted phone and have ~$75 worth of useless US boosters. Maybe they have fixed things since then, but it’s amazing how poorly a communications company can befuddle customers of long standing for months on end.

I can't remember your situation Bob, but was regular VOLTE working for you before your apirl US trip? 

Userlevel 3

Thank you Dennis and Bob for taking the time to answer. Dennis - yes, theoretically, all should work but since February when I lost roaming (3G) with TMobile, every time I made contact with Koodo agents, I got a different answer. The latest one was two weeks ago when I was informed that because my data plan is 3G, I am not eligible for VoLTE.  This is clearly not the case since my VoLTE was enabled last week without sending a text message to advise. Even on these community posts, people tried to tell me my phone was not capable of VoLTE or 5G. At least Koodo kindly credited me for the boosters that I couldn’t use.

Bob, who just left the US on April 15th and me, who left on April 20, still did not have US service (but I did not have VoLTE enabled at that point). 

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Bob, “…..but it’s amazing how poorly a communications company can befuddle customers of long standing for months on end.” So, before I commit to an annual plan, I will wait for someone who is prepaid, has Koodo VoLTE enabled, and currently in the US to report back here and advise status of voice roaming. Or, maybe I’ll do a quick gas refill across the border to see if I am able to voice roam again. Or, maybe I just move to another provider. Thanks again for taking the time to post answers.

What kind of phone do you have?

I am on the $15/mo prepaid 3G-only plan, and I’m able to use VoLTE on my iPhone. However, to get it to work, I needed to speak with an agent and ask them to reset my voicemail PIN. Doing that did some sort of re-provisioning on my line. After resetting the PIN and rebooting my phone, the VoLTE option was enabled in Settings.

Since doing this, voice calls have worked fine on T-Mobile in the USA using my USA boosters.

Userlevel 3

Hello Kraeka,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I have a new Samsung dual sim card phone ordered directly from Samsung US - fully compatible with ATT and TMobile - on which I have VoLTE and VoWifi on my US sim. I also had VoLTE using my husband’s Shaw sim (roaming on ATT). I asked the Koodo rep to do all of your suggestions two months ago, and Bob the Electrician had tried also. The Koodo reps were unable to help. I now think Koodo reps don’t always understand the issues - or have the issues fully explained to them by tech support. That is why I got multiple different answers. Just recently, I noticed that VoLTE is now  activated on my phone (even though I don’t have a Koodo or Telus “approved” BYOP), so theoretically - I should now receive Koodo US roaming on a US Voice booster. Your up to date information on what is happening with your account is helpful.

It would have been helpful if Koodo had posted an advisory when selling their US roaming boosters, “Boosters only work if Koodo has updated your sim card with VoLTE.” But, maybe they would have really been swamped with calls! The agents i talked to tried their best and I could tell, they were not enjoying the whole VoLTE issue either. In the end, this comes down to poor communication by supervisors to their callback agents and customers, consider it a learning experience for everyone. I still think I might drive across the border to Blaine or Pt Roberts before I commit to paying for a year in advance, but your info is very much appreciated!

Userlevel 3

I thought I would post an update on prepaid service roaming on a US network. Today, I drove to the Tsawwassen/Point Roberts border just beside a location that is shown on TMobile’s reception map, as “good” reception. My Koodo switched to Roaming and I got a text message that I was roaming in the US and only had 10 minutes of roaming time left. Yay! I can finally roam in the US, presumably on TMobile, and I was able to make a couple of calls. I had absolutely no Roaming service with Koodo from Feb-April when I was living in California. So, for anyone who wants to know, i am not using a Koodo approved phone, it was purchased earlier this year direct from US Samsung, it’s an A23 dual sim card 5G and is ATT whitelisted. Koodo enabled VolTE on my account about a month ago. So, I think Koodo has finally worked out their issues with prepaid customers.

Userlevel 2

I thought I would post an update on prepaid service roaming on a US network. Today, I drove to the Tsawwassen/Point Roberts border just beside a location that is shown on TMobile’s reception map, as “good” reception. My Koodo switched to Roaming and I got a text message that I was roaming in the US and only had 10 minutes of roaming time left. Yay! I can finally roam in the US, presumably on TMobile, and I was able to make a couple of calls. I had absolutely no Roaming service with Koodo from Feb-April when I was living in California. So, for anyone who wants to know, i am not using a Koodo approved phone, it was purchased earlier this year direct from US Samsung, it’s an A23 dual sim card 5G and is ATT whitelisted. Koodo enabled VolTE on my account about a month ago. So, I think Koodo has finally worked out their issues with prepaid customers.

I’m hoping for similar experience. I bought a phone directly from Motorola USA. It is VoLTE capable but Koodo doesn’t support it (even though they apparently sold the Moto g Stylus 5G (2021). I have recevied the VoLTE-enabled text.

Userlevel 2

What kind of phone do you have?

I am on the $15/mo prepaid 3G-only plan, and I’m able to use VoLTE on my iPhone. However, to get it to work, I needed to speak with an agent and ask them to reset my voicemail PIN. Doing that did some sort of re-provisioning on my line. After resetting the PIN and rebooting my phone, the VoLTE option was enabled in Settings.

Since doing this, voice calls have worked fine on T-Mobile in the USA using my USA boosters.

How did you manage to speak to an agent? Thanks in advance.