Koodo Community
Solved

Volte For Prepaid Customers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 5

@JimLaidley VoLTE is not setup on the your device if IMS is not registered.  If you haven’t received a text from koodo about VoLTE then it’s likely your account is not provisioned yet.  It’s a multi-month rollout from the sounds of things.  It’s wait and see for now…  Also make sure any VoLTE toggles on your phone are turned on.  Found in the mobile data section typically in Network & Internet

Userlevel 2

@JimLaidley VoLTE is not setup on the your device if IMS is not registered.  If you haven’t received a text from koodo about VoLTE then it’s likely your account is not provisioned yet.  It’s a multi-month rollout from the sounds of things.  It’s wait and see for now…  Also make sure any VoLTE toggles on your phone are turned on.  Found in the mobile data section typically in Network & Internet

Thanks again. I have not received that text. Sorry I didn’t note that was required earlier.

In the phone test settings it did have “VoLTE Provisioned” toggled on. I don’t see any volte settings in Network & Internet. I searched settings for volte and nothing came up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Was your Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G (2021) purchased through Koodo?

Koodo did sell this device, though non-Koodo phones often present a problem when attempting to enable VoLTE.

Some phone manufacturers have omitted the VoLTE toggle switch. Once VoLTE is provisioned, it will work as it should without the need for toggling this feature on and off. An icon should display in the notifications area when VoLTE is active during a call.

Userlevel 2

Koodo did sell this device, though non-Koodo phones often present a problem when attempting to enable VoLTE.

Some phone manufacturers have omitted the VoLTE toggle switch. Once VoLTE is provisioned, it will work as it should without the need for toggling this feature on and off. An icon should display in the notifications area when VoLTE is active during a call.

I purchased it directly from Motorola USA. Sounds like I am good to go since the VoLTE Provisioned toggle is on (and greyed out so I can’t change it).

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I purchased it directly from Motorola USA. Sounds like I am good to go since the VoLTE Provisioned toggle is on (and greyed out so I can’t change it).

Thanks for your help

You’re welcome. Chances are the phone is supported, but better to check. Click the link below and select “Check if your phone is supported” and enter your phone’s IMEI number into the box provided.  Dial *#06# to obtain your phone’s IMEI number.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Userlevel 2

Thanks for your help

You’re welcome. Chances are the phone is supported, but better to check. Click the link below and select “Check if your phone is supported” and enter your phone’s IMEI number into the box provided.  Dial *#06# to obtain your phone’s IMEI number.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Done. It is compatible so I’ll anxiously await the fateful text.

Userlevel 5

The “problem” is that Telus (and other Canadian carriers as well) pick and choose which devices they wish to allow using a whitelist.  Phones that are compatible and/or capable of VoLTE are thus kept from accessing services.   It’s a great way to sell devices and maintain control… 😉

The G stylus 2021 may have been sold by koodo a few years ago but it’s currently not on the Koodo “list”:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile all have their own “lists”/tools but these are far from accurate. 

@JimLaidley do not hold your breath here.  Be prepared to raise a stink and press if your phone still isn’t working on VoLTE in a few months.

Userlevel 2

The “problem” is that Telus (and other Canadian carriers as well) pick and choose which devices they wish to allow using a whitelist.  Phones that are compatible and/or capable of VoLTE are thus kept from accessing services.   It’s a great way to sell devices and maintain control… 😉

The G stylus 2021 may have been sold by koodo a few years ago but it’s currently not on the Koodo “list”:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile all have their own “lists”/tools but these are far from accurate. 

@JimLaidley do not hold your breath here.  Be prepared to raise a stink and press if your phone still isn’t working on VoLTE in a few months.

Thanks for the info.  Despite all my efforts to get VoLTE going I’m not any sort of power user so I’ll be fine without it. And I picked up the 2022 model (from a US carrier) which is whitelisted and will be unlockable in October. That would also solve the issue.

Userlevel 5

Thanks for the info.  Despite all my efforts to get VoLTE going I’m not any sort of power user so I’ll be fine without it. And I picked up the 2022 model (from a US carrier) which is whitelisted and will be unlockable in October. That would also solve the issue.

It has nothing to do with being a power user.  Having VoLTE is and will become a necessity, especially for those roaming in the US.  Call quality and coverage is also superior to 3G/HSPA especially as the carriers continue to shift 3G/HSPA spectrum over to the LTE/5G network.  I have read of users in some areas complaining of declining call quality in some areas.  In fact, some pockets of Manitoba no longer have 3G/HSPA voice coverage.  As 2025 approaches this will become more problematic for those not being able to use VoLTE.

Have you tried your Koodo SIM in the 2022 model to see if VoLTE works with it?  It’s entirely possible your account has VoLTE provisioned but the 2021 is blocked by the whitelist.  Try it..you may be surprised!    

Userlevel 2

It has nothing to do with being a power user.  Having VoLTE is and will become a necessity, especially for those roaming in the US.  Call quality and coverage is also superior to 3G/HSPA especially as the carriers continue to shift 3G/HSPA spectrum over to the LTE/5G network.  I have read of users in some areas complaining of declining call quality in some areas.  In fact, some pockets of Manitoba no longer have 3G/HSPA voice coverage.  As 2025 approaches this will become more problematic for those not being able to use VoLTE.

Have you tried your Koodo SIM in the 2022 model to see if VoLTE works with it?  It’s entirely possible your account has VoLTE provisioned but the 2021 is blocked by the whitelist.  Try it..you may be surprised!    

Thanks again for the advice. I spend 4-5 months in the US so that is a big deal. And our 3G reception isn’t good here in Canada either so VoLTE might help with that too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Final straw on US prepaid roaming: voice service still does not work. We ARE connected to T-Mobile since the phone received the standard warning about roaming and US boosters on SMS.

Phone is on the whitelist (LG Velvet 5G), boosters galore, no problem with account, recently re-activated. Same handset with AT&T prepaid SIM works perfectly.

Verified on a second phone as well.

Userlevel 5

Final straw on US prepaid roaming: voice service still does not work. We ARE connected to T-Mobile since the phone received the standard warning about roaming and US boosters on SMS.

Phone is on the whitelist (LG Velvet 5G), boosters galore, no problem with account, recently re-activated. Same handset with AT&T prepaid SIM works perfectly.

Verified on a second phone as well.

Has your account been provisioned with VoLTE and did it work with VoLTE when in Canada?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That is a potential problem. I’ve seen non-listed phones work and not work depending on the time frame. There wouldn’t be official support for a non-listed phone. You could see if it’ll work in a phone that is on the list if you’re able to swap sim cards to see if the problem would follow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In the meamtine, we are stuck to pay monthly baseplan with a listed phone and buy boosters that don’t give us anything worthwhile.

2 “supported” phones in US: Koodo connects to T-Mobile. Only service available is SMS. Which, believe it or not, they can send to you in the US even if your acccount is suspended.

Done with Koodo. Will it be better with others? Doubt it. Telco services are like Mother Nature: not at all concerned with the indiviual, just the propagation of the species. Bonuses and commissions are based on how many new folks can be roped in. Nobody really cares about their lost customers. They just are just a pool of delinquents that can be picked up by someone else… may as well be us.

Userlevel 5

@BobTheElectrician you didn’t indicate previously if VoLTE was provisioned and/or working for you in Canada.  Yes, your phone looks to be on the Koodo “list”, but my understanding is that VoLTE must be provisioned before it will work in a roaming context.  So if you didn’t have VoLTE working in Canada I wouldn’t expect it in the US.

I completely understand your frustrations here.  Telus has been selling services that don’t really work for well over a year now.  The (sad) reality is that all Canadian carriers want you on their postpaid Tier 1 or 2 brands paying $45-$50/month and using their “easy roaming” services which are not very wallet friendly for those needing more than a day or two of coverage.   

Sounds like you have a working solution with your prepaid ATT SIM and I would stick with that for use south of the border.   You are right thou that the focus these days seems to be on getting new accounts and churn is to be expected.  I doubt Telus/Bell/Rogers care about churning prepaid accounts.  You are likely still ahead $ wise by keeping your current service for Canada and using other options while in the US, than trying to find a turnkey solution in Canada. 

PS: Filing with the CCTS for services not being delivered is also an option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If I were a snowbird, I’d probably reverse things in getting a USA plan that would work in Canada as well, rather than the other way around. Then have a Canadian VoIP forwarded to that for the ones who don’t want to call a US number from Canada...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Lousy (not even Koodo, must get referred to Telus) chabot is the the only point of entry for solving prepaid problems unless a mobile master can cut thru this mess, The social media tells you they can’t to deal with with it, kick it upstairs to a Telus link, and that one qualifies partially as artificial (they do make it up) intelligence (they dropped the ball here).

No way to contact anyone to PROVISION the thing . Not even a 30-second phone call would do the trick.

Filing with CCTS for a hundred bucks of recompense beings my time spent on this so far to about $3.35 an hour. Thought maybe things could  be worked out before involving the lawyers…

4600+ posts gone to waste.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If I were a snowbird, I’d probably reverse things in getting a USA plan that would work in Canada as well, rather than the other way around. Then have a Canadian VoIP forwarded to that for the ones who don’t want to call a US number from Canada...

Done that. You may have caught it in previous posts. Final cost much lower going USA=>Canada. Thanks for your help and support in the past.

Userlevel 5

This is a good solution but can become a bit problematic for MFA text messages from banks, CRA etc which typically require a Canadian number and voip services are not always reliable for texts.  Hopefully more institutions allow for MFA codes via email or authenticator apps in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a good solution but can become a bit problematic for MFA text messages from banks, CRA etc which typically require a Canadian number and voip services are not always reliable for texts.  Hopefully more institutions allow for MFA codes via email or authenticator apps in the future.

Yes that’s one issue I’ve noticed with a voip service. I personally use Fongo, and it’s been a bit hit and miss with authentication. I have eventually had it come through after a couple attempts but that’s still problematic dealing with the potential of not getting anything.