Koodo Community
Question

The Light Phone & VoLTE for Prepaid

• 21 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I just switched over to Koodo from Public Mobile as I saw some posts on forums stating that Koodo was more compatible than PM as I have been experiencing issues with making and receiving calls using my Light Phone on PM.

I am aware that it is not officially compatible with any networks in Canada yet but I have been using my LP perfectly fine for the last 2 years until PM upgraded to 5g. My phone has been having issues hearing people on the other side of the line since. 

The LP customer service team told me to make sure my carrier has VoLTE enabled. Since Koodo now has it enabled since Feb 22, 2023 on all prepaid plans, I made the switch and I am now on the $25 prepaid plan. I was told, by a Koodo rep that the $25 plan still includes VoLTE despite the plan showing 3g.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists and I cannot hear people when I make calls to them.

Any advice on how to resolve? I wouldn’t like to change phones preferably. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

I just switched over to Koodo from Public Mobile as I saw some posts on forums stating that Koodo was more compatible than PM as I have been experiencing issues with making and receiving calls using my Light Phone on PM.

I am aware that it is not officially compatible with any networks in Canada yet but I have been using my LP perfectly fine for the last 2 years until PM upgraded to 5g. My phone has been having issues hearing people on the other side of the line since. 

The LP customer service team told me to make sure my carrier has VoLTE enabled. Since Koodo now has it enabled since Feb 22, 2023 on all prepaid plans, I made the switch and I am now on the $25 prepaid plan. I was told that the $25 plan still includes VoLTE despite the plan showing 3g.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists and I cannot hear people when I make calls to them.

Any advice on how to resolve? I wouldn’t like to change phones preferably. Thank you!

The VoLTE feature is only compatible with a selection of phones. Unfortunately, the Light Phone is not on the list. You can refer to the link for further details. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

Hello,

The LP customer service team told me to make sure my carrier has VoLTE enabled. Since Koodo now has it enabled since Feb 22, 2023 on all prepaid plans, I made the switch and I am now on the $25 prepaid plan. I was told that the $25 plan still includes VoLTE despite the plan showing 3g.

The VoLTE feature is only compatible with a selection of phones. Unfortunately, the Light Phone is not on the list. You can refer to the link for further details. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

I was told that ANY phone was compatible when I was switching over. Seems like I was scammed. Thanks for the info anyways.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have the North American variant, the LP II operates on 4G LTE networks. I believe PM started using 4G within the last couple of years which would explain why you were able to use this device without issue.  You may want to look into switching to Koodo’s $30 4G speed prepaid plan. I read somewhere on PM’s community that a 4G speed plan was necessary for VoLTE to work.

LP II Network specs:

Network: 4G LTE (LTE FDD + VoLTE)
North American Model: B2, B4, B12, B13, B17, B25, B26

The Light Phone | FAQ | Technical Specifications

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to note, Public Mobile has VoLTE as well. Again, only on select compatible phones.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@simoodo sorry I’m not sure if it’s the same on pre-paid or not but I did write about what it took to enable VoLTE on my Pixel 6:

In short, I had to visit a link (which I provided) and update my e911 address on file with Telus, and afterward  was able to enable Voice over Wi-Fi, which also added VoLTE provisioning to my account.  Again, not sure if these steps will translate over to prepaid but worth a look.