Koodo Community

Prepaid data booster used up but not by me

I recently returned from 3 months in Mexico. During that time I kept paying for my monthly prepaid Koodo plan. I had bought a data booster before leaving and had only used a small portion of it. I had my Koodo SIM with me while in Mexico (and I used it in the U.S. for 2 days en route to Mexico) but for the 3 months I was in Mexico I used a Mexican SIM card. When I got home, I put my Koodo SIM back in and found that the data was all used up. My usage history showed that I had used data while I was in Mexico, which was obviously not the case. I got “customer service” to call me. The rep put me on hold while he talked to “tech support” and then told me that according to their records, while I was in Mexico, my SIM was used in a phone in Canada and he provided me with the IMEI number. It was not a number I have any record of and in any case, I had the SIM with me in Mexico so it is obviously bullshit.  The rep said “our records are very precise” and refused to restore my data. YesterdayI called again, spoke to another rep who finally agreed to give me 1 GB of data. 

Now I am hyper-aware of my data usage and so today I looked at my usage and it shows that at 3 a.m. yesterday, there was 35 MB of data used. At 3 a.m. I was sound asleep, the wifi was turned on on my phone, “Data Saver” was enabled, and all my apps are set to update over wifi. 

Anybody else experience anything like either of these situations? 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you go into your phone’s setting for data usage, do you see data being used?  If so, by which app?

It shows mobile data usage from March 1 of 128 MB . . used by lots of apps, mainly Facebook (38 MB) and Chrome (17 MB). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you change the billing cycle date on your phones data usage to the night of the 3am data usage?  I assume it was last night (March 21).  When you do this do you see any app data usage?

I don’t know how to do that. It’s a Samsung S10 if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In your mobile data usage screen click on the setting gear or 3 dots in the top corner and it should bring you to a screen similar to this below. Change the start billing cycle date to the date if the incident 

Thanks, I was able to do that. It shows 40.21 MB used when I set the cycle to start on March 20, the day of the incident. 24 MB of that is Facebook.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does the usage on your phone for March 20-21 match that on self serve (more or less)?

Yes, within 4 MB. I don’t understand why mobile data was used by the app when the wifi was turned on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There could be multiple reasons.  Your wifi could have disconnected or reset in the middle of the night.  Your phone could have entered a “sleep” mode and disconnected from the wifi (this could happen if your dont plug in your phone over night).

When connected to wifi, go Into your wifi settings and click the 3 dots in the top corner and there should be an option for Advance or Intelligent.

Make sure the Switch to mobile data when wifi is slow or unstable is set to Off

Thanks, will do.