Koodo Community
Solved

New 360 days prepaid plan

Userlevel 5

Seems like Koodo/Telus is countering Freedom Mobile’s prepaid unlimited talk & text $99 yearly plan. I just noticed Koodo has a “360 days” prepaid offering shown on the front page of the prepaid site, however there is no other info anywhere other than having to follow the “activate now” button.  

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/prepaid-plans

If I am understanding the verbiage correctly, if you prepay a plan (any prepaid plan??) for 360 days you will get 60 days “free”?  This also looks like it’s only geared/setup for new customers/activations only.  I did not see any offerings or abilities for current prepaid customers to switch to this.

Any more details here would be appreciated.  

icon

Best answer by Allan M 10 August 2022, 19:00

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can find out more info at the link below:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/360-day-plan-faqs

Essentially if you pay for a year up front they give you two months free. Current customers are eligible to switch to it in their self serve account.

Userlevel 5

Thanks, @Allan M the FAQ was quite helpful.  

Yes, so you get two free months which is equivalent to a 20% discount of the base plan and the entire year’s worth of data is applied at once.   Data boosters continue to work as per usual with base plan data being used first.  And this looks to only be available for plans $25 and up.  No dice for those on the $15 plan that pay ($15x12=$180) over the year.

Interesting...I wonder if people will actually consume more data thus requiring boosters more frequently when applied this way versus the traditional monthly method.  

One needs to be careful going this route since there are no refunds or credits if switching plans out early.

Userlevel 2

I spend 4-5 months in the US. I have to buy US boosters for that time and my monthly Cdn data allotment goes completely unused.

With the 360 day plan I would get 12gb to use over the 7-8 months that I am in Canada. Big win!

Userlevel 5

@JimLaidley  yes, I can see how that would be beneficial in that use case.

With your long stays in the US going with a local US prepaid SIM/service is your best bet instead of boosters.  Especially given the 3G shutdown and the lack of VoLTE support by Telus/Koodo.  Check out Mint Mobile

Userlevel 2

With your long stays in the US going with a local US prepaid SIM/service is your best bet instead of boosters.  Especially given the 3G shutdown and the lack of VoLTE support by Telus/Koodo.  Check out Mint Mobile

Local US sim/service is good for data and outgoing but doesn't help with incoming calls or texts to our Cdn/Koodo #.  Possible that 2 phones might be a bit cheaper but is a PITA.

Userlevel 5

Local US sim/service is good for data and outgoing but doesn't help with incoming calls or texts to our Cdn/Koodo #.  Possible that 2 phones might be a bit cheaper but is a PITA.

You won’t receive those incoming calls anyways thanks to the 3G shutdown.  As it stands now, the most you can expect when roaming with a booster is data and text - both are possible over LTE.  All Koodo prepaid voice calls go over 3G.

The real PITA is Telus (and Canadian carriers for that matter) taking their sweet time to provide VoLTE calls for prepaid.  Until that happens prepare accordingly.

Userlevel 2

You won’t receive those incoming calls anyways thanks to the 3G shutdown.  As it stands now, the most you can expect when roaming with a booster is data and text - both are possible over LTE.  All Koodo prepaid voice calls go over 3G.

The real PITA is Telus (and Canadian carriers for that matter) taking their sweet time to provide VoLTE calls for prepaid.  Until that happens prepare accordingly.

That is not true according to the info I received in this thread:

Koodo Prepaid will still have service on TMobile 4G. Do you have info to the contrary?

Userlevel 5

Only data would work on (4G) LTE but no voice calls.  Texting should also work over LTE

Voice calls would only work if there is T-Mobile 2G network coverage.  Otherwise, nada.

The bottom line is that travelling to the US now with Koodo/Public Mobile prepaid is a roulette style gong show and I would not be making any trips without contingency plans.  The Public Mobile community is full of frustration from people that either did not know or did not prepare.  

Userlevel 2

Only data would work on (4G) LTE but no voice calls.  Texting should also work over LTE

Voice calls would only work if there is T-Mobile 2G network coverage.  Otherwise, nada.

The bottom line is that travelling to the US now with Koodo/Public Mobile prepaid is a roulette style gong show and I would not be making any trips without contingency plans.  The Public Mobile community is full of frustration from people that either did not know or did not prepare. 

Our phones (purchased from Costco) appear to support VoLTE. If so, would voice calls work in the US?

Haven’t had any luck finding info on TMobile 2G coverage.

Userlevel 5

Our phones (purchased from Costco) appear to support VoLTE. If so, would voice calls work in the US?

Haven’t had any luck finding info on TMobile 2G coverage.

Having compatible hardware is only one piece of the VoLTE puzzle.  The carrier must also support this with their provisioning systems so unfortunately we all must wait for Telus to enable VoLTE on prepaid.   Regular Koodo postpaid users with supported devices are currently able to use VoLTE.  

If you acquired a local US SIM and used it in your current device,  chances are extremely high that VoLTE would work for calls, especially given that 3G was and is being torn down.  Keep in mind that even local US users with old non-compatible devices were forced to upgrade their hardware from this shutdown.

And just so you are aware, Canada will be shutting down 3G as well but the deadline is 2025.  So VoLTE here  is just a matter of time for prepaid. 

If you or anyone for that matter are going south in the near future, just be ready to grab a local US SIM and possibly another device (lots of cheap options in the US) if you don’t have dual-SIM capability and need flexibility.

Userlevel 2

Any suggestions on how to get a definitive answer from Koodo on whether Koodo Prepaid TEXTING will work over TMobile 4G LTE?  I’ll need to make a decision on whether to leave my phone in Canada with a text forwarding app or take it with me an hope it works.

Userlevel 5

Any suggestions on how to get a definitive answer from Koodo on whether Koodo Prepaid TEXTING will work over TMobile 4G LTE?  I’ll need to make a decision on whether to leave my phone in Canada with a text forwarding app or take it with me an hope it works.

Ask one of the Mobile Masters to inquire.

For me, until the US roaming mess is all sorted and officially updated, I am not relying on it.  The focus now seems to be on postpaid accounts and charging $12/day for “easyroam”