Koodo Community
Solved

Multiple Charges on my Credit Card

• 21 October 2021
  • 11 replies

I am activating a new sim card and porting my old number to Koodo prepaid, but when I press “activate”, it wont process. I press the “activate” multiple times but nothing happen. However, my credit card was charge  7x. Now I am frustrated and planning to dispute this to my bank. How can Koodo charge me Multiple times and NOT successfully making my account?

I also attached a screen shot of my bank transaction history, I have 7x pending transaction.

icon

Best answer by Dennis 21 October 2021, 07:22

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try clearing your browser's cache if you want to try again. 

Hopefully the other charges are Pre-authorizations and won't be posted. 

Thank you Dennis for the response. I tried to activate the sim card and start all over again and this time I used my TD Debit card. Same thing happened, my account is not created but I was deducted in my Debit card. Since my transaction is posted right away in my debit account, my another option is to dispute this in my bank. and the other 7x transaction I will also dispute it to my bank once it becomes posted (I hope not).

I talked to a representative and she tried to check the sim card that I use to register to see if there is any multiple charges, however since my account was not successfully created, she cant see any transaction for the sim card I am trying to activate, but it is very clear that my TD Debit was deducted. My point is, they should not charge me if my account is not successfully created. Now I have problem of asking my bank for refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since you spoke with the rep, were they able to get your account activated? 

Did they confirm your sim card was an acceptable one that was never used? 

Yes, the representative successfully activated the sim card, but not porting my old number. They can’t port my old number from Lucky Mobile, and she escalated the matter many times, and asked me to wait for three days to hear again from them.

But the representative can’t check my other concerns about the multiple credit card charges since it happened before the representative activated my sim.

I am using now a temporary Koodo number and account but both my credit and debit charges still I need to solve/follow-up to them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Vincent Elumba The charges showing on your account are showing as “pending” and the error message even indicates “your card has not been charged.” I am pretty sure those will fall off. Since Koodo’s “prepaid” system uses Public Mobiles backend for billing (as you can see in the merchant name). At least on public mobile when you make multiple attempts a lock gets triggered and needs to be reset by customer service….

I believe there may be some limitations on certain debit-type Visa/Mastercard that can be used… You might have to try a real credit card (not debit).

Another recommendation from the Public Mobile side is to leave the apartment/suite number in the payment information section blank if you try again.

You could also just compare the plans at Public Mobile if you’re looking at prepaid. It’s Telus/Koodo’s other self-service prepaid-only brand. Their $15 plan includes unlimited international texting while Koodo’s is only Canada-wide, and other rewards that will reduce the cost further….

@Nezgar Thanks for the response. I’ve been to public mobile and I like their service and no problem with signal, the reason I left them is they are running in 3g service. I am doing online classes and sometimes I need fast internet that is the reason I jump to Koodo for the LTE service. I will post an update with regards to 7x charges on my CIBC credit card if it is posted or not and if I got a refund. Same thing I will do for my TD Debit Card was charged also.

My current and activated Koodo account was charged using my TD Credit card. But I will pursue refund for my TD Debit card and the 7x pending transaction on my CIBC Credit card

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey @Vincent Elumba Sorry to inform you that Koodo prepaid plans are also limited to 3G speeds. (3.0Mbps) You would have to move up to a Koodo post-paid plan for full-speed LTE.

If you still have your Public Mobile plan, you can try this trick: disable LTE and switch to actual 3G (ie WCDMA/HSPA mode) and there is no throttling limit, up to the true 3G limits. You will likely see speeds upwards of 10Mbps. Maybe that will work well enough for your online classes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Vincent Elumba Sorry to inform you that Koodo prepaid plans are also limited to 3G speeds. (3.0Mbps) You would have to move up to a Koodo post-paid plan for full-speed LTE.

If you still have your Public Mobile plan, you can try this trick: disable LTE and switch to actual 3G (ie WCDMA/HSPA mode) and there is no throttling limit, up to the true 3G limits. You will likely see speeds upwards of 10Mbps. Maybe that will work well enough for your online classes.

Not true. Koodo prepaid has LTE speed data services.

And @Vincent Elumba yoir best bet is to dispute/verify your charges with your bank. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I thought $35/3GB, and $15/250MB prepaid starter plans were throttled:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/starter-plans-3g-data-speeds

“Shop” part of the main site is down now so I can't check again. Maybe OP's issue was that the site was just starting to be worked on causing issues, and is now all the way down until tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I thought $35/3GB, and $15/250MB prepaid starter plans were throttled:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/starter-plans-3g-data-speeds

“Shop” part of the main site is down now so I can't check again. Maybe OP's issue was that the site was just starting to be worked on causing issues, and is now all the way down until tomorrow.

Those plans are postpaid, not prepaid.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I see it now, thanks for the correction @Timo Tuokkola and @Dennis !