Koodo Community
Solved

moving to prepaid

• 3 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Europe but would like to keep my Koodo phone number active for a while longer. I figured the basic prepaid with roaming add-on is the cheapest option. Do you know if I can move from Koodo postpaid to Koodo prepaid and keep my number.

Thank you,

Marija

icon

Best answer by Sophia 3 March 2021, 22:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can, but it’s probably not a good idea. You won’t be able to use your number in Europe (prepaid doesn’t allow roaming outside of North America).

If possible, you should port your number to a VOIP provider such as Fongo. That way you can still receive calls in Europe or forward incoming calls to another number.

If that is not an option, Rogers USED to offer prepaid plans that allowed roaming, but I’m about 10 years out of the loop on that one so not sure if that is still possible with them.

If none of the above is possible, and you just want to keep your number, then the cheapest option is 7-11 Speakout. For $25/year you can keep your number active, but you won’t be able to use it for anything while you are abroad.

Safe travels!

Thank you, this is super helpful.

I am only really looking to keep my number so I can receive various safety codes that every website seems to want to send now. Do you maybe know if any of the options you listed would allow that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that case, Rogers pay as you go might be your best option. Check here if they allow roaming in your new country: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/addons (tab Roaming)

Edit: I would highly recommend you use an app for your 2FA, such as Authy. Roaming is not an issue in that case and it’s safer than using your number too :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To receive texts (indirectly) anywhere, port your number to CallCentric. Set up the number to accept SMS (text messaging) and use the (free) option to have you notified by email when any texting  is received.

Email that includes the usual verification code follows within a few seconds of SMS.

Inexpensive and works 100%, except that picture messaging is not supported.

You can also use that number to call world-wide inexpensively over wifi by installing a VoIP client on your phone.