Koodo Community

How does Prepaid Plan work?

• 22 February 2021
  • 6 replies

I have seen the official “how does prepaid plan work” paragraph but it is still quite confusing to me. If I get a plan with 3 GB of data, doesn’t the traditional prepaid plan work until you use up your data? It seem to say that I’m still expected to pay the base plan amount every month. And if I don’t top up after 90 days my account will be expired? What’s the difference between the prepaid plan and monthly then?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To name a few differences:

Prepaid:

- Have to pre-pay for your services

- No credit check

- Different plans

Postpaid:

- Get bills for your services

- Credit check required

- Have access to purchasing phones on the tab

Hi Allan,

thank you for your reply. So essentially I still have to pay the base plan amount every month regardless of what I actually used. the only difference is different plans and no credit check required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Allan,

thank you for your reply. So essentially I still have to pay the base plan amount every month regardless of what I actually used. the only difference is different plans and no credit check required.

Correct.  
You need to add funds every 30days to renew your prepaid account.  If you stop adding the funds, your service will pause until you add more funds. But, once it past 90 days, you will lose the account, boosters( if you have any) and number. 
And other difference is that you can’t buy a phone on Tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For prepaid only, you have the option to “stock up” on extra services without penalty. Buy data or long-distance boosters to add extra services. Boosters never expire as long as your account is active or within  a 90 day grace period after that.

If you do casual roaming in the US, prepaid may be to your advantage as you will only pay for the on-the-spot services you purchased up front… no ugly per diem just to take a 2-minute call or to check your email.

We were paying $60 a month for my husband’s monthly plan. I noticed he hardly ever used data so I looked into prepaid. We switched him to a $30 a month unlimited Canada wide, 1 GB plan and saved ourselves $30 a month.

Bought a bunch of boosters when they were on sale at 50% off (because they don't ever expire) - US Roam Talk, Text & Roam for the next we are in the US (when Pandemic is over). This means I won't have to use the expensive Easy Roam on my monthly plan. Also bought extra data boosters in case he ever wants or needs data. Prepaid is perfect for him.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have seen the official “how does prepaid plan work” paragraph but it is still quite confusing to me. If I get a plan with 3 GB of data, doesn’t the traditional prepaid plan work until you use up your data? It seem to say that I’m still expected to pay the base plan amount every month.

just to clarify this point, if you get a base plan that includes data, then this data will expire when your baseplan expires.  However if you buy data boosters, this will roll over until you use it.

So for example, if you get the $40/2GB prepaid plan, this data will expire in 30 days along with your base plan.  But if you get the $30/1GB data booster add-on, this data will roll over

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans