Koodo Community
Question

how can I enable VoLTE?

• 31 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I have the $15/month prepaid plan (unlimited texts, 100 Canada minutes, and 250 MB) on my iPhone 11 (model A2111) running iOS 17.4.1. (I just changed to that plan today from an older form of $15/month that didn’t include the minutes.) I understand that in order to be certain that the US roaming boosters will work when I travel to the States next month, I need to have VoLTE activated. The support chatbot says that as of February 2023 VoLTE is being enabled for prepaid customers, but I’ve been a prepaid customer for more than ten years, and I still don’t have it. When I go to Settings --> Cellular → Cellular Data Options → Voice and Data, the only two options shown are LTE (which is selected) and 3G. I have tried resetting my voicemail PIN, but that didn’t help. How can I get VoLTE enabled on my line?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I go to Settings --> Cellular → Cellular Data Options → Voice and Data, the only two options shown are LTE (which is selected) and 3G.

This is all you need to do on your cellphone to enable VoLTE.

When you make a phone call does your phone show LTE still or does it switch back to 3G?

Huh, I just tried and it did show LTE while I was on a call. But all the info pages on this site (such as “How do I activate and use VoLTE on my phone?” at https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid) say I should see an actual VoLTE option in Settings, and I don’t. (Also I can’t turn on wifi calling; when I try, it switches off again and pops up a note telling me to contact Koodo to enable it. I don’t know if that’s related to VoLTE.)

I see dozens of complaints in these forums from people whose US roaming boosters haven’t worked, although none seems to be more recent than ten or eleven months ago. I’m trying to find a way to be assured that mine will work, and I’d formed the impression that having VoLTE explicitly turned on was a crucial part of making them work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Shoshanna 

There are specific models that are not supported for VoLTE in roaming,  however you shouldn’t encounter problems on iPhone 11 if you want to use your US Boosters in the US. 

It means VoLTE is already enabled if you see LTE while you are on a call.

Wifi Calling is not available on Prepaid plans at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That help page is a little out of date.

The two examples it gives for iPhones mentions iOS 14.4 or older and iOS 12 or older, where we are up to 17.4.1 now.

The purpose of VoLTE is to maintain an LTE connection while on the phone so if it does that, you can be assured that VoLTE is working!

I’ll flag a rep to have that help page updated.

As for wifi calling, you are unable to use it on Prepaid.

Many thanks to you both! I will look forward to traveling with my prepaid US boosters.