Koodo Community
Solved

does prepaid balance transfer to postpaid or are the minutes lost?

• 25 June 2021
  • 5 replies

How do I bring my already paid minutes that are on my prepaid account but not yet used up to a new postpaid account? I want to have a postpaid account but I don’t want to lose the minutes that I have already paid for.

icon

Best answer by BobTheElectrician 26 June 2021, 14:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You will lose those minutes for sure, so you’re best off to use them all up before you sign up for postpaid!

I have a year’s worth of minutes so I can’t afford to lose them so I guess I will not be signing up for Koodo Postpaid after all. Well, at least not for a year. Bummer, as I was hoping to start using data services. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I see, how many boosters do you have? And when did you buy them? As for data services, you could of course buy boosters for that… at least to tie you over!

Also, all postpaid plans have unlimited minutes so you wouldn't benefit from those minutes anyway.

I have 2 boosters...300 minutes left of long distance talk and 405 minutes left of Canada-Wide talk. Is it possible to put the SIM card in my daughter’s phone and go ahead an open a postpaid account but also to take the phone number from the prepaid account and move it to the postpaid? Then get a new phone number on the prepaid for my daughter to use the minutes left on it? How do o do that? How do I transfer the phone number without closing the prepaid account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s easy to take your prepaid SIM and put it into your daughter’s phone. Account owner and payment method stay the same. Click on Phone  Services in self-serve and you can then change that phone number.

Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer ownership of your current number without closing the prepaid account and losing your boosters. Most post-paid plans with a new phone include unlimited Canada-wide minutes. If you decide to keep your current number and ignore the prepaid, you are basically giving up your long-distance minutes vs your current number.