Koodo Community
Solved

Convert prepaid SIM to eSIM using Quick Transfer?

Hi!

According to this article: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers
Koodo now supports eSIM Quick Transfer, including the ability to convert a SIM to an eSIM on the device without a voucher:

Existing customers:

To convert a physical SIM card to an eSIM on the same iPhone using eSIM Quick Transfer, go to: Settings > Cellular > Tap Convert to eSIM > Tap Convert Cellular Plan

• Wait for your eSIM to activate. Your previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
  • Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone. Then restart your iPhone.

Note: Apple eSIM Quick Transfer requires iOS 16.4 or newer 

I don’t see the option “Convert to eSIM” in Settings > Cellular, and I am running iOS 16.4.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro. My line is prepaid, but this same article says “Any in-market Koodo rate plan (prepaid or postpaid) is available on eSIM”.

Any reason why the “Convert to eSIM” option would not display?

icon

Best answer by Allan M 15 April 2023, 23:26

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I saw you posted on another thread that you were roaming in US? If so, that might be the reason. 

I saw the option in my iPhone. Can you recheck?

Is that a prepaid or postpaid SIM?

Mine shows like this (below). I am roaming in the US, but my understanding is that this is all done over Wi-Fi anyways?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am a postpaid customer. As I mentioned earlier, if you roamed, you used roaming carrier profile - not Koodo. It might have a different set of option. I recommend you check again when you arrive back to Canada

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This feature is only available for TELUS postpaid and prepaid, and Koodo postpaid customers.

It hasn’t made its way to Koodo prepaid yet.

I’m a prepaid customer and my sim is now “locked” because I tried to convert it into esim. Is it possible to unlock my sim for free? Otherwise I’m going to stop my service with koodo at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m a prepaid customer and my sim is now “locked” because I tried to convert it into esim. Is it possible to unlock my sim for free? Otherwise I’m going to stop my service with koodo at all.

What do you mean by “locked”?
Could you share a screenshot of the error you are seeing?

Thanks, Allan

here below the screenshot. Be aware that the network connection that we can see in the up right corner is because I have an other line so it is not Koodo. 

One more thing: I have deleted the virtual esim, thinking that it was not possible to use it (it was stuck on activation). Is it so possible to reactivate the physical sim?

News, I have restarted my phone now and I got this new message. But I don’t have the virtual sim, how to get it ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You shoukld be able to swap your sim back to the physical sim in your prepaid self serve.  Since you got rid of the esim, you will need to have the 2FA sent to your email

I have tried to do that but finally I went to a koodo store in Longueuil and they activated a new sim with my phone number for free and very quickly. 
I learnt also that it is not possible to have two esim active at the same time.

thank you, Dennis

Worth nothing for future readers that you can use two eSIMs at once on iPhone, but this is only supported on iPhone 13 and later, as per:

iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044