Koodo Community

Changing from Monthly to Prepaid

• 14 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello! I’m hoping someone here will be able to help me out :) 

I currently have Monthly plan, however I’ll be moving abroad in the near future and its unclear if I’ll be returning to Canada (thus putting my account on “hold” is not an option). I’d like to switch to PREPAID so I can continue to have service without having to worry about cancelling my account and such but rather just let the number expire.

Could anyone confirm if this is possible? How do I go about it? Am I able to keep my same number when going from postpaid to prepaid? 

Thank you! 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello! I’m hoping someone here will be able to help me out :) 

I currently have Monthly plan, however I’ll be moving abroad in the near future and its unclear if I’ll be returning to Canada (thus putting my account on “hold” is not an option). I’d like to switch to PREPAID so I can continue to have service without having to worry about cancelling my account and such but rather just let the number expire.

Could anyone confirm if this is possible? How do I go about it? Am I able to keep my same number when going from postpaid to prepaid? 

Thank you! 

You need to get a Koodo prepaid SIM card. You can buy one from a Koodo store or on Amazon. Once you have your SIM card, you can register for a Self-Serve account and activate as a new customer. From there, you should be able to port out your number from postpaid to prepaid. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid service will not work overseas. If you want to park your account, port your number to a VoIP provider such as CallCentric. You will then have the option to receive and /or forward texts and calls from your current number at very little cost.