Koodo Community

Cancel prpaid plan

• 25 November 2021
  • 10 replies

In May 2018 I purchased a KOODO pre-paid sim card at Best Buy, Kingston, Ontario.

I mentioned I was going to use this for two weeks while in Canada. No pre-authorized payments were set up.  After two weeks I dropped by at Best Buy and asked how to cancel this pre-paid sim.

Answer: just don’t pay, that will stop it.    Fast forward 2 ½  years.  November 2021, living in Europe. Received a note from a Collection Agency that I owe KOODO something around $120.00 + $40.00 odd dollars in interest at 28% over this time. Please pay as soon as possible since my credit rating is going to be effected.

Help lines or agents are not approachable since I obviously don’t have a North American telephone number. So they cannot return my call, nor can I contact KOODO anywhere to try to sort this out.

Any suggestions or help would be welcome

Thanks, Peter Overpelt

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure that you got a prepaid account?

There is no credit check done with prepaid and its all pre paid for therefore its impossible for you to have something sent to collections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that timeframe, the only place you could get a prepaid SIM was at a Koodo or Telus retail outlet. Independent retailers did not carry them (no profit or commission in a $15 item).  Your account must have been registered as post-paid.

Send the collection agency a registered letter, if you feel like it, explaining it. They will not spend a lot of time and effort to do an off-shore collection. A small  unpaid debt in Canada is unlikely to affect you in Europe.

Thanks Allan and Bob for your positive reply.

I do have the Best Buy receipt showing 4 items (sim card, activation, physical card and something else) all 4 showing $0.00.  The sales person explained that cash was better, but have no receipt for this cash part. So it looks like I did not pay anything.

The collection people make it difficult for me to pay, I’m asking for an invoice, they say, “Just you credit card number is enough”

I still have close connections to Canada so would like to keep my credit rating intact.

Again, thanks for you comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post the snapshot of the receipt here. Hide/delete all personal information before posting please.

Also be careful with collection agency like this. Some of them could be a scam. If you are not returning to Canada or do any business here,you could just ignore it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I do have the Best Buy receipt showing 4 items (sim card, activation, physical card and something else) all 4 showing $0.00. 

- Does it say Postpaid SIM or Prepaid SIM?

I’m asking for an invoice, they say, “Just you credit card number is enough”

- That's sounds scamy. Especially 3years later...?   I wouldn't pay without proper bill contains what's for, their  company name, address, contact info...etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Allan and Bob for your positive reply.

I do have the Best Buy receipt showing 4 items (sim card, activation, physical card and something else) all 4 showing $0.00.  The sales person explained that cash was better, but have no receipt for this cash part. So it looks like I did not pay anything.

The collection people make it difficult for me to pay, I’m asking for an invoice, they say, “Just you credit card number is enough”

I still have close connections to Canada so would like to keep my credit rating intact.

Again, thanks for you comments

Is there an email address where you can reach the collection agency? According to the law in Ontario, they should not be contacting you if you:

• write to the collection agency and say that you dispute the debt; and,
  • suggest that the matter be taken to court

You can make sure they read your email by requesting a read receipt.

For more information, you can visit this link. https://www.ontario.ca/page/stop-collection-agency-calls

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For your protection and peace of mind, get a copy of your credit report (Equifax) and/or Consumer Disclosure (TransUnion). Both companies offer online services and may charge a small fee. This way you will know whether this is a legitimate collection claim or a phishing scam. I’m thinking the latter. Do not divulge credit card information or your email address. This is exactly what scammers want you to do.   

Understanding Consumer Disclosures

Equifax Credit Score & Report

Thanks to everyone who responded. I asked the ‘agency’ by phone if they could send me a copy of the Koodo invoice and the manner they wanted me to pay them. I gave them my email address but have not received an answer as of today.  I tend to agree with some of you that this is a scam. If I do not receive any answers in the next few days I’m going to ignore the incident as a scam.

Your support has been greatly appreciated.

Cancel my protection plan and stop collecting payment from my monthly bill

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Cancel my protection plan and stop collecting payment from my monthly bill

Please create a new post. You can copy/paste the information you have entered here into your new post. Click the link below to create a new post. 

Create New Post