Koodo Community
Solved

Call from Koodo retail store

• 27 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I've been a prepaid customer since 2013. I've always managed my account through self-serve.

A few days ago, I got a voicemail from a Telus/Koodo retail kiosk at a mall close to my home. I've never dealt with them before but they knew my name. They offered to "upgrade" my phone and plan. Since I'm not in the market for either, I didn't respond.

Today, I got an email from Koodo that says:
"We received a request from a retail location to access your Koodo Prepaid account. To receive support, please provide your authorization code to the representative in store. "

As mentioned, I've never dealt with Koodo retail and never requested support from them. Is this how Koodo is trying to lure people from prepaid to postpaid?

icon

Best answer by Chrisowhy 27 January 2023, 20:46

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I believe during non-busy periods, Koodo retail staff do Koodo customers to try to drive business.  You can ignore it, or you can visit the store to ask them whats up

Userlevel 5

I've been a prepaid customer since 2013. I've always managed my account through self-serve.

A few days ago, I got a voicemail from a Telus/Koodo retail kiosk at a mall close to my home. I've never dealt with them before but they knew my name. They offered to "upgrade" my phone and plan. Since I'm not in the market for either, I didn't respond.

Today, I got an email from Koodo that says:
"We received a request from a retail location to access your Koodo Prepaid account. To receive support, please provide your authorization code to the representative in store. "

As mentioned, I've never dealt with Koodo retail and never requested support from them. Is this how Koodo is trying to lure people from prepaid to postpaid?

The email you received is what you typically get when trying to log into your online self service account.   Telus uses 2FA to confirm it’s actually you after a password is entered correctly and are presented with a choice of SMS or Email to receive the 2FA code.  The email contains the code which needs to be entered correctly before proceeding to your online account.

The fact you received this message out of the blue raises big red flags in that somebody tried to log into your online account and had the password correct!  And all that kept them out was the 2FA code email, which you received.

If you did not try logging into your online self service account when you received that message, I strongly suggest changing your self serve password asap and also contacting Koodo to report this activity.

Userlevel 5

@czg416 is below like the email you received?  This is what I receive when requesting the 2FA code upon logging in.  This messaging has changed from when Koodo setup 2FA back in December.

@ChrisowhyYes, the text is the same as in the email I received two days ago, when I had NOT logged into my self-serve account, and two days after I received a phone call from the retail store as mentioned above.

I have logged into self-serve a few times since they added 2FA, but had previously selected SMS instead of email.

I changed my self-serve password and logged out and back in. This time, I chose email 2FA and received the same email.

Is it possible that Koodo is using the same system for 2FA and for the retail stores? That seems really sloppy on their part (but, not altogether surprising).

Userlevel 5

@czg416

Below is the email verification code that was being sent out at the beginning of January.  The email subject and messaging is completely different...and very confusing.  If an end user requests the code why is the communication saying it was requested by a retail location?  I agree it’s very sloppy and unprofessional.

@Dennis @Sophia can one of you please ping someone internally to look into and comment on this?  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@czg416

Below is the email verification code that was being sent out at the beginning of January.  The email subject and messaging is completely different...and very confusing.  If an end user requests the code why is the communication saying it was requested by a retail location?  I agree it’s very sloppy and unprofessional.

@Dennis @Sophia can one of you please ping someone internally to look into and comment on this?  Thanks!

Let me flag a rep to help you out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @czg416 

We do not have access to the account on our end, however, please schedule a call back with the prepaid team https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaidchat, they will be able to further investigate why you got the 2FA email since you didn’t log in to your account.

We do not have access to the account on our end, however, please schedule a call back with the prepaid team https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaidchat, they will be able to further investigate why you got the 2FA email since you didn’t log in to your account.

I did a callback just now and they said they will investigate and let me know. Thanks @MilkyWay and @Flo Koodo for your help.