Koodo Community
Question

Why was my data used against my set preferences?

• 18 August 2022
  • 4 replies

I was on a FaceTime call overnight and i woke up to texts from Koodo saying my data was 50%, and later 90% used. I had a stable internet connection with the “Wifi Assist” option disabled, yet in my cellular settings it would seem that my FaceTime call was using mobile data as it went from 70KB to 1.1GB overnight. I have FaceTime enabled to use data so i can receive calls when i’m out, so normally I would assume that maybe I lost wifi connection, but i went into my internet router settings and confirmed that my phone was connected to the internet for over 9 and a half hours consistently.  Knowing all of this,  why did my data get used? I feel cheated out of my data that i paid for knowing i had my data drained from a wifi call whilst having Wifi Assist disabled.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I know you have it off but does it show any usage for wifi assist like seen below?

No, the image attached is from that morning as well. Rather than being an issue with Koodo or myself i think some sort of software misfire in my iPhone led to this unfortunately.

The exact thing happened to me today.  For some reason while connected to WiFi and streaming the radio my iPhone drained all my data instead of using the WiFi.  I’m so mad!  I also have WiFi Assist turned off.  My phone upgraded overnight…..is this some kind of new glitch?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The exact thing happened to me today.  For some reason while connected to WiFi and streaming the radio my iPhone drained all my data instead of using the WiFi.  I’m so mad!  I also have WiFi Assist turned off.  My phone upgraded overnight…..is this some kind of new glitch?

When WIFI signal had connectivity, the phone is automatically switch to cellular. Wifi Assist settings doesn’t apply in that case.

If your iPhone was upgraded overnight, the iPhone was setup to use your cellular data to download. I suggest you turn it off.https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-auto-update-iphone-5206079