Koodo Community
Solved

What happens to picture messaging if data runs out?

Userlevel 1

I currently have no data and pay for the data block so I can use picture messaging. If I switch to the current deal (which is the same price as my plan plus the data block) that includes 2 GB of data and remove my data block, will I still be able to send and receive picture messages if I run out of data? I have no idea how far the 2 GB will go at this point. I don’t want any extra charges if I go over the 2 GB.
Also any hints as to how to manage the data, so that I don’t use it much when I’m off wifi, would be super appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Dennis 25 April 2023, 21:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes when data is used up, you should get a notification that data has been stopped and you will be given options to buy more data.  If you dont buy more data, then Data will be paused but you will still be able to send picture messages.

Just make sure when you change plans, you go into your Data usage area in self serve and make sure the data notifications are all on.

To prevent unwanted data use, I would disable data on apps that I dont want to use data (like youtube and facebook) and only allow the essentials like email and google maps.  It depends on the phone you have 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As your plan had data, if you go over the data amount, your “normal” data will be paused automatically from Koodo end. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/shock-free-data 

Your MMS however would be sent/received normally, as long as you keep the cellular data on in your phone.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick replies! Exactly what I wanted to know. Just one more clarification to be sure: if my data is paused and I don’t get more, I will still be able to use picture messaging and it won’t be charged as extra data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the quick replies! Exactly what I wanted to know. Just one more clarification to be sure: if my data is paused and I don’t get more, I will still be able to use picture messaging and it won’t be charged as extra data?

Correct!

Userlevel 1

I switched to the new plan. BUT, my shock free data notifications are not on. I get this message for my account which includes my husband’s cell and his has the same message:

I used the service to get a callback and spoke to a rep, who said he needed more help. He put me on hold and while I was happily listening to the music, the call was cut off. I never got a call back.
Any help as to how to get this resolved? I definitely want the notifications on both phones and did not do anything to “opt out”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To set up data usage alerts, please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to Self Serve: Visit the Koodo Self Serve portal and log in to your account using your credentials.

2. Access Usage settings: From the Self Serve dropdown menu, select "Usage" to access the usage settings page.

3. Change data settings: On the "Data settings" page, select "Change data settings" to modify your data usage preferences.

4. Enable data alerts: Mark the check box for each data alert that you want to apply to your account. This will ensure that you receive notifications when you are approaching your data usage limit or when you have exceeded it.

5. Save your preferences: Once you have selected the desired data alert settings, click "Save" to save your preferences.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for replying. I did see that article, but I don’t have those options. There is no “Change data settings” on my page. When I choose “Data preferences” it takes me to the data settings page and there, under “Shock-Free Data alerts” I get the previous screenshot.

There is no where for me to adjust any settings. I have seen this issue on this community and the replies have been “we’ll flag a rep” and they have resolved it. When I got the callback, the rep said he was talking to another level of help, but as I mentioned, the call dropped and I haven’t heard back and it has not been resolved yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ll flag a rep for you then! 

Userlevel 1

I still don’t see any changes and haven’t heard from anyone. Any advise?

Should I start a new post as this one is marked solved from my original post?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That shouldn’t impact it being flagged for a rep to followup. It may well have been a busy day for the reps available and they couldn’t get to here by the end of the day.

You have an alternate option that should cover your immediate needs until this is resolved, and then be a second measure to keep you from going over your data. If you go into your phone settings, and adjust the data usage tracker monthly cycle to your plan’s monthly cycle, you can then just the data limit before it warns you, and also before it’ll stop using data. Then you should be ok, and we’d be happy to follow up should a rep miss this thread entirely to flag again for looking into it, if it comes to it.

Userlevel 1

Okay, thanks. I’ll set the phone for now, check my usage on the website and be patient for a bit then. 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Lisa D. 

Sorry for the late reply here! 

I have managed to enable the notifcations for data usage, you should receive notificatons at 50%, 90% and 100% (data will be also paused at 100%)

Userlevel 1

Excellent! I see it’s all working now. Thanks so much all for your help!!! 😀 Really appreciate being able to be part of this community 👍🏻