Koodo Community
Question

What happened to caring for existing customers?

• 14 June 2023
  • 1 reply

I have been a Koodo customer for over 10 years.  In our home we have 3 Koodo phones for 10 years+.

My current phone is an Apple 8+.

On Saturday I went to the Koodo/Telus store in Lime Ridge Mall, Hamilton and noticed a sign indicating 20 GB of data for $39.  My plan is 20 GB for $45 so I thought I would ask about this and maybe save a few dollars plus get some ideas about my next phone as my older Apple is going to be replaced in the coming months.

The store was not busy - I believe it was between 5-6 pm when my wife and I entered.   We approached the nearest team member and asked her about the $39 plan after indicating we are existing customers.  She told us this offer was only for new customers, not existing customers.  Next I asked about what to expect in a new phone with respect to cost when the time came for me to upgrade.  She told me the new phone would take my cost to $104/month.  I asked how that could be as I am now at $45/month.  She said if I get a new phone I would need a new plan and that would be the cost.  I was pretty shocked by that feedback.  We said this was really not what we were hoping to hear as we have been customers for a long time and thought this would force us to look elsewhere for our cell phone provider.  We did say that we were not bothered with her personally but certainly not happy with the information we received.

At that point we left the store.

At no time did the Koodo/Telus staff member try to look at our account information or offer any solutions to this situation.

We walked through the mall and into the first cell phone provider we saw and learned that with a similar plan for data and a new iphone 14 my cost would be maximum $85/month until the end of 2 years when the phone was paid down.

I reached out to get a call from customer support and the person was very professional and courteous on the phone but did not really hear what I was asking.  They offered me a new plan with an new phone for $87/month for the first 2 years then $55/month going forward.  I am currently at $45/month with plenty of data for my needs and not looking to increase my monthly cost significantly as I am retired (I understand the cost will go up during the 2 years of new phone tab).

When I first joined Koodo it was innovative, solutions oriented and different from the big existing telecommunications companies like Bell.  I fear Koodo has lost that and am really disappointed in the customer experience my wife and I had last Saturday night that really seemed like the person was not at all interested in having any conversation with us.

I am currently surveying friends and family on who they use for cell phone providers and how they feel about the value and support received.

Steve Hunt

Hamilton

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So the store was right about the $39 plan.  It is a Bring your own device plan and it is only available for new customers.  If you really want this plan, there are other providers that offer this only to new customers too.

Regarding getting a phone, the numbers do not sound right at all.

The max tab amount monthly is $33/month.  However to qualify for a Tab Plus you need at least a $60 Tab Plus plan, which takes you to $93 per month.

If you had a $55 existing plan, it should qualify for for the Tab plus whic becomes $88/month.

If you choose the tab basic it is $10/month added to your $45 plan.  You will just have a larger upfront cost.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Personally I would save up for the phone and buy direct from Apple.  The newest iPhone is the iPhone 14.  You may want to investigate the iPhone 13 or 12 if a lower cost is needed.  You can also wait until the iphone 15 is released.  It should be announced in September and likely available by October.  However it is rumored that the new iPhone 15 will have a large price increase which may mean the iphone 14 may not see a price decline once the 15 is out.