Koodo Community
Question

what does it cost to call puerto rico

• 26 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I have the Unlimited Long Distance Pack and the countries included  are: United States, China, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Bangladesh, United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Colombia, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Netherlands, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Taiwan.

Is Puerto Rico considered  part of the USA?  

It is area codes 809 and 787 in the North American Number plan.

The Pay per Use list does not include Puerto Rico as a country

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/payperuse

However if you look at 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/long-distance-calling

The rate is listed as 2.75 per minute for Puerto Rico

As opposed to the normal USA rate of 0.80 per minute

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

puerto rico isa separate country for long distance calling when you are in canada, but it is part of the US when you are traveling when you use Easy Roam

Thank you however I am not asking about Easy Roaming.  

I just want to know what it costs to call from Canada.  Which comes down is it part of the US, Alaska and Hawaii are but I guess US Virgin Islands, Guam and PR are likely not.

I guess I have to use Skype to call, since it Is likely not part of US calling so 2.75 a minute.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you however I am not asking about Easy Roaming.  

I just want to know what it costs to call from Canada.  Which comes down is it part of the US, Alaska and Hawaii are but I guess US Virgin Islands, Guam and PR are likely not.

I guess I have to use Skype to call, since it Is likely not part of US calling so 2.75 a minute.

That is correct. There are lot of other options available, but Skype is a good alternative to avoid the high long-distance charges.

The area code from Puerto Rico is 787 and 939 so from Canada you would call (787) 555 5555

809 is now only the Dominican Republic 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The North America Number Plan includes several nations, so it having 3 digit area codes is not indicative of being part of the US, depsite being an American territory. As you saw, it is 2.75 per minute and with the long distance saver plan, it’s 1.25 a minute.

There is the 28 nation list for the international calling perk, which doesn’t list Puerto Rico, and the legal stuff doesn’t specify American territories are not included, only certain number codes. You’d think that it would be there if anywhere. It manages to specify that Macau is not included as part of China.

I can flag a rep if you like to confirm that American territories aren’t included in that perk.