Koodo Community
Question

US ROAM TALK BOOSTER NOT WORKING

We are in the US and purchased both the data and phone boosters. The data booster is working fine but not able to do outgoing or receive incoming calls. I have turned my phone off and on and tried different networks from the drop down list (other than the automatic T mobile) but they do not work Cant get a callback as it goes straight to voicemail in canada!  

suggestions?

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is because the phone and Koodo plan wasn't compatible with Volte in US. And when 3g network shutdown, you cannot make or receive calls. More here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/3gshutdownUS

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is because the phone and Koodo plan wasn't compatible with Volte in US. And when 3g network shutdown, you cannot make or receive calls. More here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/3gshutdownUS

Koodo should stop selling those boosters until the problem, which is clearly on Koodo’s end, is fixed. Prepaid does not work properly in the US even if you have a US-sourced compatible phone.

Bite the bullet, buy a prepaid US SIM, but only if your phone is VoLTE-capable: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf?source=ESSZ0SSPR00T1EsEM&wtExtndSource=20201020164156_AT%26T+Community+Forums__COMMUNITY_3954573197

Thanks!  I totally agree. We just returned from overseas and have been using SIM cards without issue, including a longer stay here in the US.  Now settled back in Canada,  we thought we would give KOODO a try as our home plan.  It would have been incredibly easy for them to advise US booster wouldn’t work for prepaid users on their site instead of this great mislead. Didn’t need the frustration and waste of time while on holiday and will be looking for another provider on our return. Thanks to the community ( not Koodo support) for providing the answer in the end. 

Userlevel 3

Same situation for me, I am presently in US and contacted Koodo through a call back to a landline about the issue. The agent immediately offered a credit to my account for the talk booster and advised the problem is not with my phone, it is with Koodo prepaid not being compatible with their US roaming partner. If I insert my husband’s Tmobile sim, my phone has full talk, text, data service. With the Koodo sim, I can text over TMobile and use roaming data, so - it’s not our phones…….it’s Koodo not having Volte enabled for TMobile roaming in the US on prepaid. Contact them and they will offer a credit to your account for the US talk booster. The agent was very pleasant and helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo recently sent a text to prepaid clients announcing that VoLTE has been implemented in Canada. Seem to have read somewhere, however, that it does not yet work with US roaming.

Would be pleased to hear from someone on prepaid roaming in the US if calls and texts work down south as expected.

Userlevel 3

Koodo recently sent a text to prepaid clients announcing that VoLTE has been implemented in Canada. Seem to have read somewhere, however, that it does not yet work with US roaming.

Would be pleased to hear from someone on prepaid roaming in the US if calls and texts work down south as expected.

I would like to hear from a Koodo rep about what is happening, if anything at all, to remedy the incompatibility (lack of VoLTE in US) issue between Koodo prepaid talk boosters and roaming? We know it is not about the phones, many of us who have posted on the community pages have 5G phones that work on 5G networks (using VoLTE) with US sim cards - it is a Koodo problem.

When will this be fixed? If Koodo is not going to fix it, then please let us know.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would like to hear from a Koodo rep about what is happening, if anything at all, to remedy the incompatibility (lack of VoLTE in US) issue between Koodo prepaid talk boosters and roaming? We know it is not about the phones, many of us who have posted on the community pages have 5G phones that work on 5G networks (using VoLTE) with US sim cards - it is a Koodo problem.

When will this be fixed? If Koodo is not going to fix it, then please let us know.

Thank you.

It is currently being rolled out by Koodo

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

Userlevel 3

Thank you, Dennis. Has it been rolled out since you posted two weeks ago? Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have gotten a text then you should have VoLTE.  It looks like a slow rollout to customers over multiple weeks/months.

Userlevel 3

HI, I have Canadian VoLTE, but have not received confirmation of US VoLTE.  My US talk roaming booster was refunded to me last month, but trying to follow up with Koodo employees on when prepaid US roaming talk will be enabled…..rather than “soon” or “next few months”.  Thanks for attempting to answer this question that I have, and other prepaid customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately we have no idea when the rollout will have hit everyone one or when your turn is next.

If you need VOLTE on prepaid sooner rather than later, you could hit up the Prepaid Koodo Assist chat and request a call back

https://t.email.koodomobile.com/r/?id=h1fc0a981,32385f06,27d6005e&cid=telDM606696&bid=532720001

Userlevel 3

Thanks again, Dennis for speedy reply, unfortunately I am in the US right now and callback is not possible to an international number - and of course, I don’t have a prepaid US roaming talk booster because that doesn’t work! 

Userlevel 3

Just talked to rep, US roaming boosters on prepaid are still not working. The rep doesn’t know when Koodo will fix this issue. She said she will suggest to Koodo management that an announcement is made when it is fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would contact the rep again.  I remember reading in the community somewhere that someone was able to get VOLTE by  having a rep reset their voicemail

Userlevel 3

I have VoLTE enabled on my phone and it has been enabled for several weeks. I have done all the steps recommended for booting VoLTE, the problem is with Koodo Prepaid and their US roaming partner. I have great service using a T=Mobile sim, and my husband has great service with Shaw;s Prepaid US roaming on ATT with his phone which is identical to mine. The issue is with Koodo Prepaid. We just have to sit back and wait (or change carriers) for Koodo to text us or post an announcement online that they have remedied the issue. The reps are having a hard time with this too, they get asked about this many times a day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have VoLTE enabled on my phone and it has been enabled for several weeks. I have done all the steps recommended for booting VoLTE, the problem is with Koodo Prepaid and their US roaming partner. I have great service using a T=Mobile sim, and my husband has great service with Shaw;s Prepaid US roaming on ATT with his phone which is identical to mine. The issue is with Koodo Prepaid. We just have to sit back and wait (or change carriers) for Koodo to text us or post an announcement online that they have remedied the issue. The reps are having a hard time with this too, they get asked about this many times a day.

If you have VoLTE working, then the US Roaming talk boosters should be working unless it is another issue.

Are the US Roaming data boosters working?
Does it even connect to a roaming partner?

Userlevel 3

Dennis - the issue we are all having is with talk boosters. US Roaming data boosters are working, Text roaming boosters are working, Koodo talk boosters do not connect with a roaming partner. I’ve had three reps now confirm that US Talk roaming boosters do not work and the problem is at their end.  Postpaid Koodo can access talk roaming partners, Prepaid Koodo cannot - even if VoLTE is enabled in a 5G phone that works with ATT or TMobile sim cards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately it seems like there just isn't a set timeline besides at some point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Dennis - the issue we are all having is with talk boosters. US Roaming data boosters are working, Text roaming boosters are working, Koodo talk boosters do not connect with a roaming partner. I’ve had three reps now confirm that US Talk roaming boosters do not work and the problem is at their end.  Postpaid Koodo can access talk roaming partners, Prepaid Koodo cannot - even if VoLTE is enabled in a 5G phone that works with ATT or TMobile sim cards.

Just so there isn’t any confusion, I’m referring to US VoLTE that is the issue that has been identified here.

Are you saying you do have US VoLTE enabled on your phone?  If so, maybe restart your phone?

Otherwise if it is another US Roaming talk booster issue that is not VoLTE related, I am not familiar with that problem.

Userlevel 3

I have US VoLTE enabled, it has been restarted many times, 3 reps have advised the problem is at Prepaid Koodo’s end and they don’t know when issue will be solved.

As Goren Mobile Master stated above, “Unfortunately it seems like there just isn't a set timeline besides at some point.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Confirmed as above : Did all the recommended… VolTE phone on everyone’s whitelist, US and Canada. Reset my voicemail password as suggested elsewhere. Results: Texts sent by Koodo get thru even if your account has lapsed.  Part of the “emergency system” I guess. The texts that you send when connected to T-Mobile go thru to recipients in Canada and the US. But voice is not available. Shows “calling”, no ringing and drops after 30 seconds.

Date is iffy as well. I figured the VoLTE issue could be side-stepped by usiing a data connection and a VoIP service.. Nada in my case.

Bought a  US prepaid plan with Canadian roaming and guess what.. that works perfectly both sides of the border.