Koodo Community
Solved

Unable to make international calls from Europe?

• 17 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

My daughter is currently in Europe and is unable to make any calls on her phone. She has an iphone 11, with international roaming enabled. She has pulled the sim card and rebooted the phone, but no luck. She’s on our family postpaid plan.

Koodoo support are bloody useless, we struggle to understand each other, all they want to do is sell me their roaming plan. 

She should be able to make international calls at standards rates,  but call attempts are failing with the message she’s unable to make international calls.

Any ideas?

thanks.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 18 November 2021, 01:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Make sure the pay per use long distance saver add on is present on the account. It should have been added automatically if you activated easy roam, but sometimes it doesn't go through. Aside from that, make sure she's dialing the ‘+’ and the country code in front of whatever number she's calling although if she's hearing a message about international calls she most likely is.

Userlevel 1

Thanks. But there isn’t a ‘pay per use long distance saver’ add on? She’s got international voice roaming enabled. I haven’t activated easy roam as I don’t want to pay those rates, just the standard pay per use rate.

I’ll check of she’s dialing the international access code. Dows she need to do that of she’s calling a Canadian number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should see it in the “my add ons" section like this:

If it isn't there, that's likely why it isn't working.

She would need to dial the international prefix to call back to Canada. Since the country code for Canada is 1, the number would be in the format: +1 xxx xxx xxxx.

I'll flag a koodo rep to see if they can have a look. Is the email you used to sign in here the same as the one you use for self serve? (If so it makes it easier for them to find the account).

And while it's up to you whether to add easy roam or not, remember that roaming rates in Europe are around $2 per minute for voice calls. At that price it doesn't take long before it exceeds the $13 a day easyroam would cost.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Timo. 

The closest I got to that option is ‘international long distance saver’….for calls made in Canada. So that doesn’t seem appropriate? I don’t have the pay per use international as an add on option.

Yep my login email is the one on my account, thanks!

She just needs it for emergencies. So would be nice to get this sorted. 

Thanks again for you help!

Hello @BritCanuck! We added the ‘Pay-per-use International Long Distance’ add-on on this line. Please ask your daughter to restart the phone and then try to manually connect to a local network from the phone’s settings. Keep us posted.

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much, hopefully that works!

Userlevel 1

Just to let you know that worked. Daughter is now able to make calls. Thanks again for your help.