Koodo Community

travel outside of Canada

• 19 November 2023
  • 6 replies

i will be traveling to the US, i’d like to be able to use google maps and search options while away.  i’ve tried to log into self serve but on my first attempt it said i was locked out due to invalid id or password error. i know i can text easy roam  and add it that way but i’d like to make sure i have enough data. How much data would google maps use while using gps and search?

thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Regarding the self-serve access, could you reset password to see if you can regain the access to it?

Google Map itself and GPS didn’t use much data. it is hard to give a accurate number as it depends on how far/long you travel and if you search a lot with picture/video or not.  500MB-1GB/day is possible.

However, if you turn on data roaming and cellular data, many other apps can access to data as well. Those will likely increase your data usage.

i don’t plan on using the phone for calls or text, just google maps and maybe search for hotel info restaurants etc. how should i set my phone to ensure i dont  use too much

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

i don’t plan on using the phone for calls or text, just google maps and maybe search for hotel info restaurants etc. how should i set my phone to ensure i dont  use too much

You actually can save google map data (of the area you are travelling) using WiFi and can use it while on the way.  You don't really need to turn on cellular data unless you want to search or find image or need updated traffic information.

Easyroam charged you by a fixed amount. it doesn't matter how much data you use, you would be charged the same if you use data. You could opt to use payperuse data but then it wouldn't be cheap.

One good option is to switch to a Can-US plan. You can save alot of money with it if you travel

thank you. another question i have is, my current plan say i have unlimited international messaging text and picture. the upgraded plan says unlimited international messaging from canada? is it possible that my old plan was unlimited both ways?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

thank you. another question i have is, my current plan say i have unlimited international messaging text and picture. the upgraded plan says unlimited international messaging from canada? is it possible that my old plan was unlimited both ways?

No, I don’t think so, Outbound International SMS and MMS was included in your plan if those message were sent from Canada. 

If you switch to a US-CAD plan, you could send message to US and CAD while you are residing in US or Canada for free (as it is included in the US-CAD plan).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh is correct!The description has been updated  (from Canada) to avoid confusion, however the international text messaging on both old and new plan refer to outgoing text messages sent from Canada to international numbers. Incoming text messages while abroad are free of charge