Koodo Community
Solved

Receiving messages abroad

• 21 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I am on a Koodo Plan for Canada, but I will visit Turkey soon. I was wondering whether it is possible for me to receive SMS messages from Canada when I am there.

I am not planning to use my Koodo Sim Card actively when I am there. So, I do not want to pay daily for some extra international service for weeks, but I will definitely need to receive messages for connecting to some of my online accounts for dual authentication. 

Would you be so kind as to inform me about this? Thank you very much. 

Best,

icon

Best answer by Chris Koodo 22 June 2022, 13:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The short answer is yes, you can. Receiving messages while abroad is free.

However the longer answer is more complicated… you’d have to make very, very sure that you don’t accidentally use data. Even the tiniest amount (we’re talking kb) will be charged the full roaming amount and it’s so easy for leakage to occur even when you just start up your phone. And there is no absolute guarantee that Koodo will reverse the charges…

So I would recommend that you only switch on your phone when absolutely necessary, keep data off or try to get your 2FA codes though an app such as Authy instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To add on what Sophia said, turn all data off, not only data roaming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you only need the incoming SMS and afraid of accidental data roaming, remove the “International Data Roaming” add-on in selfserve but keep the “International voice Roaming” add-on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just wanted to jump in and confirm that everyone is right. As long as you make sure both Data and Data Roaming are turned OFF you wont be charged for data.

Same goes for calls and texts.  If you pick up the phone or respond to a text you’ll be charged for Easy Roam.

Take a look at this article for an extensive explanation on how you would be charged while roaming:

Note: One other thing! Checking your voicemail, from your phone, will also trigger an Easy Roam charge. That includes if you accidentally click on the notification and it has time to connect.

Hi,

I would like to know if this possibility of international incoming SMS (from other countries than Canada-USA) is possible even with the prepaid deal at 15S

• without easyroam
  • without extra frees

thank you !

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi,

I would like to know if this possibility of international incoming SMS (from other countries than Canada-USA) is possible even with the prepaid deal at 15S

• without easyroam
  • without extra frees

thank you !

It is not. Prepaid is only good in Canada and the US.

Hi,

• without easyroam
  • without extra frees

thank you !

Hi Allan,

thanks for your answer.

What would you suggest me to take to have the lowest cost for receiving incoming SMS only from all around the world ?

thanks !

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What would you suggest me to take to have the lowest cost for receiving incoming SMS only from all around the world ?