Skip to main content
Solved

Koodo Plan for Long Term Travel is the USA?

• 5 December 2021
  • 10 replies

I heard today that Koodo offers a plan for about $45/month that would allow me to take my phone with me to the USA and includes calls to Canada and USA as well as unlimited texting.  All I can find on the site is the Roam package at $14/day.  Can someone please point me in the right direction??  Thanks.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is an old package that customer service may be able to give you.

I believe it is a recurring $45/month unlimited talk and text add-on.

If you're interested I can flag a rep and see if it's something they can still apply.

Yes please!!!  That would be awesome!!  Would love to be able to do that, and then revert to my “usual” plan when I’m back after winter.  Do you know if I would be able to purchase a new phone as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How many months were you going to need it for? I'm trying to remember how many minutes and data it includes. I think it's like 750MB of data? If your usage is low but throughout the month, then it could work.

Is this plan usable in Canada as well?  If it is, I would just change to that plan….but if not, then I need it for 6 months.  I need calls to Canada and USA, and texting to Canada/USA.  NO DATA (needed or wanted)..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is this plan usable in Canada as well?  If it is, I would just change to that plan….but if not, then I need it for 6 months.  I need calls to Canada and USA, and texting to Canada/USA.  NO DATA (needed or wanted)..

Its an add-on.  It means you will pay your regular/ current plan plus this US talk & text roaming add- on. There is no data roaming included.

But, it's an old package... I don't know even if they still have it on the system.  Allan flagged this. Hopefully it come back with good news.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes please!!!  That would be awesome!!  Would love to be able to do that, and then revert to my “usual” plan when I’m back after winter.  Do you know if I would be able to purchase a new phone as well?

Let me clarify a bit here. That roaming package is an add-on. You aren't switching to a $45 please but rather paying $45/month in addition to what you're currently paying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey everyone! Indeed, we have some old roaming add-ons still available for extended trips to the US that auto renew every 30 days.  The add-ons are actually in addition to your regular monthly rate and would continue being billed until they are manually removed via Self Serve.

$20 for US unlimited SMS
$45 for US unlimited MIN/SMS
$75 for US unlimited MIN/SMS + 750MB of data

Note: Since there are a few more rules to how these plans work, they can only be added over the phone by scheduling a callback through Koodo Assist

As you can imagine, these add-ons aren’t actually too popular anymore ever since Easy Roam became an option. Easy Roam allows you to only be charged for the days you use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts.

Another interesting option to be considered, for extended trips to the US, would be the Canada-US plans from our friends over at TELUS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What is your usage pattern? If relatively little data is required, switch to prepaid for a low monthly fee and only pay for the minutes and texts you actually use. $15 a month gets you unlimited international SMS while in Canada + 100 minutes of Canada-wide calling.

Phone used in the US to US or Canada: $20 for 250 minutes, $20 for 1000 SMS. Unused balances roll over to the next billing period. Additional Canadian minutes and data also available.

Service is provided by AT&T.

I’m still confused. I had thought a $3 per month “LD saver add on” my calls from a USA vacation to Cda would be .05 per minute but I do not see that mentioned.

I want to have something to call back to Cda for Mar/Apr. in future maybe for 6 months at a time.

Thanks for any suggestions

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m still confused. I had thought a $3 per month “LD saver add on” my calls from a USA vacation to Cda would be .05 per minute but I do not see that mentioned.

I want to have something to call back to Cda for Mar/Apr. in future maybe for 6 months at a time.

Thanks for any suggestions

The $3 long distance saver addon is for calls originated from Canada. If you make call from US, roaming rate will apply.

Regarding the options with Koodo, you can choose between the above mentioned add-on or easyroam.