Koodo Community
Question

Issue wih using my phone in USA

• 24 September 2022
  • 25 replies

Hello,

I have a US plan with easy roam and I cannot place any calls while I am in the US.

Also, my network keeps disconnecting.  The only way I can use data or text is to disconnect and re-connect.

What is going on?

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi Can you pls power your device down wait 60 second and turn it back? It may help refresh the switches. Unfortunately, we have zero control over US network qualities and coverage. However, you could manually select a different provider and see if that makes connection better too. Let us know if thisg as are working once you restarted your phone.  

I have switched on and off.  No help.

Voice does not work at all - I cannot place calls or receive calls when even when the signal is strong!

Who is the provider in the US that you partner with?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi From Verizon to T-Mobile to AT&T, it really depends on where in the US you are at any moment. Have you tried manually switching to a different carrier on your phone?

Yes, I have.  Voice does not work at all.  I did receive a text saying easy roam is activated.  It sucks to pay extra 12 dollars and not have the service

Can you tell me why I would have signal, but voice would not work even with easy roam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi i see data is working. You may also see changes as you change locations, even within the city or place you maybe at the moment.

Edit: ok, we refreshed a ‘stitch’ on our end. Pls give the power cycle one more chance.  Beyond that it’s all on the US networks I’m afraid.

I don’t get it.  You sell a service that says easy roam in the US. It  seems like if that is the case it is unfair for me to pay $12 a day for something that does not work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t get it.  You sell a service that says easy roam in the US. It  seems like if that is the case it is unfair for me to pay $12 a day for something that does not work!

Have you tried resetting your phone again to see if it works? What about inserting your SIM card in another device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi I understand how you feel at the moment. The service does work though. Is it 100% all the time, no. Unfortunately that’s just physics of wireless service anywhere in the world. What is causing the issue for your voice connection specifically we can’t tell remotely. There are just too many variables. I would expect you could see some changes throughout the day as you location changes.

I have strong connection

Data and text work.  Voice does not work.  I went to a t mobile store.  They cannot help.

I did a network reset on my phone. That did not help

I put the card in another phone.  That did not help.

The voice is NOT working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi Can you pls check if VoLTE is enabled  on your device? The steps below should help.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hello,

I have a US plan with easy roam and I cannot place any calls while I am in the US.

Also, my network keeps disconnecting.  The only way I can use data or text is to disconnect and re-connect.

What is going on?

Which model phone do you have? Either it doesn’t support VoLTE, or VoLTE is disabled. As of 2022, US networks are shutting down their 3G networks, which was previously used for voice calling when VoLTE was not available. Now that those networks are going away, VoLTE is mandatory. If your phone is too old to support it, you can try manually selecting the T-Mobile network, and forcing 2G which is still available in some areas of the US as a workaround, and switching back to LTE for faster data.

I have a Pixel 5.  The link that @Bernard Koodo sent tells me it is VoLTE enabled.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I have a Pixel 5.  The link that @Bernard Koodo sent tells me it is VoLTE enabled.  

Can you check your settings in the phone app to see if VoLTE is enabled?

Under preferred network type it gives me 5G, LTE and 3G.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Under preferred network type it gives me 5G, LTE and 3G.  

Under mobile network settings, next to preferred network type you might see the option “IMS settings” and in there is an option to enable/disable Voice over LTE.

I don’t see the IMS settings.

Also, seems like there was a software upgrade to make pixel 5 VoLTE enabled.  My phone is up-to-date on its updates.  Any other way to make sure that patch was installed ? Is there a way to re-install?

Isn’t there anything that Koodo has to do ensure that is enabled when roaming?  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Turn off Wi-Fi and watch your status bar at the top when you make a call. If your phone isn't using VoLTE, you should see it change from LTE to 3G (or "H+" ) when you make the call. If it stays on LTE then it must be using VoLTE.

I see LTE+R and when I make a call still says the same.

But call does not go through 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I see LTE+R and when I make a call still says the same.

But call does not go through 

Are you currently in USA? Sorry I was assuming you were in Canada for above test.

If you are still in USA and VoLTE isn't working, try manual network selection, choose T-Mobile, and set mode to 2G/GSM - you might be able to make/receive calls in that mode, but data will be slow so you'll probably want to switch back for faster data…

2G and 3G does not work here anymore

I am in the US.

I have a hard time believing it is a photo issue. 

All of a sudden, the voice started working together this morning.  It was interesting that yesterday I could not activate voice over WiFi, but this morning I could.  Now, however, without WiFi, the voice works 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sepi Well, I tell you what it may have been, not 100% sure, but it’s a pretty good guess.  Somehow the VoLTE feature dropped from your line. I put it back late last night.  Whether it was that, or a change in the local network conditions I don’t know. Have a safe trip!