Koodo Community
Solved

Incoming SMS and calls while roaming

• 25 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, I will be roaming internationally soon with a dual-SIM phone and have a Koodo postpaid plan. My intention is to buy a data-only local SIM card and use it in the second slot (EasyRoam is good sometimes but the local data SIM plans are *way* less than $13/day).

Even if I am not using data or outgoing calls, would incoming SMS messages or phone calls come in to my Koodo number trigger EasyRoam? If I turn EasyRoam off, will I be charged for incoming SMS or calls if I don't answer?

The roaming is in the USA and two countries in Europe.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Dennis 25 October 2021, 05:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Incoming sms will not trigger easyroam, but incoming MMS will since it will use data. Incoming calls will only trigger easy roam if you answer the call. 

I would leave easy Roam on just Incase accidental data leakage or talk occurs. Easy roam is much cheaper than pay per use rates. 

If you just want to receive incoming texts just make sure you don't answer any calls and data is off. If you don't care about receiving texts then just take the sim card out 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are roaming internationally and worrying about data roaming, you can remove the “International Data Roaming” in self-serve and only  keep the  “International Voice Roaming”. That should help with accidental cellular data roaming usage.

Thanks both Dennis and Dinh. That's exactly what I was hoping to confirm.