Koodo Community
Question

How can I reach a koodo agent when i am out if the country and call back dows not work

• 18 November 2022
  • 17 replies

I am looking to switch to Koodo while there are promotions on but I am away traveling and do not have a Canadian number to accept incoming calls. The Sim card currently in my phone is an Italian number but I have outgoing international calling available.  I could reach Rogers no problem but cannot call Koodo. The chat bot can't answer questions I have and a rep would have to activate the plan I want if they are even able to match it. Plus add an add on that is different than what comes with most of the new plans. I tried scheduling a call back last night after my Facebook message had no reply. The call back never went through. I also couldn't get the chat bot to tell me what time zone the call would be in. It just said 9:30 pm was the earliest available. I'm assuming the calls would be in eastern time but there was no indication of that and I did not receive the call anyways.  

I have tried switching to Koodo before and by the time an agent got in contact the promotion was over and they couldn't honour the price.

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From your description, I am still unsure what was the exact request that you need a rep to assist you with.  Did you want to change your plan to a plan? Or was it about an add-on? 

Have you tried to do it yourself in self-serve?

I am not currently a Koodo customer and the plan I am looking to get would make it worth switching. It is a plan my boyfriend was offered yesterday but that does not show up in the pick your perk plans. So no, I can not do this by self serve. 

The plan he was offered includes unlimited messaging to international numbers which I would need. And would prefer to add a US calling feature as well. In the past, a Koodo agent offered to keep a US calling add on on file to activate for me when I get a Koodo account. The add on I had previously talked about was 1000minutes of calling and at a discount from the posted price. An agent would have to add this for me if it is available. If they can't add this anymore, I want to know because the Koodo plan would end up costing me more than my Rogers plan with even 30 minutes or less of calls to family with US numbers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not currently a Koodo customer and the plan I am looking to get would make it worth switching. It is a plan my boyfriend was offered yesterday but that does not show up in the pick your perk plans. So no, I can not do this by self serve. 

Do you have a snapshot of anything to show the plan?(hide/delete all personal information before posting pls). Have you checked their main webpage and see if the plan were there?

Also, Koodo doesn't ship SIM overseas, I am not sure how you can activate.Did you have an Canadian address and a credit profile so they can activate online for you?

Just a reminder, features of Koodo plans are likely applied only when you are residing in Canada. If you travel, you would have to pay expensive roaming fee on top of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The plan he was offered includes unlimited messaging to international numbers which I would need. And would prefer to add a US calling feature as well. In the past, a Koodo agent offered to keep a US calling add on on file to activate for me when I get a Koodo account. The add on I had previously talked about was 1000minutes of calling and at a discount from the posted price. An agent would have to add this for me if it is available. If they can't add this anymore, I want to know because the Koodo plan would end up costing me more than my Rogers plan with even 30 minutes or less of calls to family with US numbers 

So what you are looking for is tricky. It is a special exception when signing up and based on a past commitment even though you never signed up AND for an individualized promo plan offered to an exisiting cuatomer. If you don't have an active account with Koodo (or a past account in the last 90 days) it is very unlikely any note about a discounted long distance add-on will still be on your record for a non-customer.

If you do feel like you want to speak to Koodo, since you are out of country, you best bet is to send koodo a private message via Facebook or Twitter. Note it is not a live chat and will take some time for Them to reply

I am only traveling for another week. Mail takes time in Canada. So by the time Koodo mails the sim I would be home. I would be activating the SIM when I get to Canada next week. I am not looking for a roaming plan, just a plan to use at home. The same plan we already put one phone on yesterday. I just need to talk to an agent and can't request anything but a callback that does not work. Still no reply by Facebook message that's why I tried here 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That cellular plan was targeted to a specific number based on their history with Koodo. It isn't available for everyone. I didn't see it in my account either. Also, to get that plan normally customers would have to upgrade their phone with Koodo. So there would be extra fee of Tab payment to pay.

As you would like to be a new customer, available plans would be available at www.koodomobile.com . If you are not in Canada and want a rep to help, they might charge you a connection fee of $50. It is free if you do it yourself in selfserve. 

Anyway, you could try your luck by contacting Koodo via Facebook or Twitter as Dennis mentioned. I would also recommend you wait for black Fri or Christmas week. Normally they have some extra promotion at that time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Callbacks don't work for international numbers. I guess since you cannot get that plan as well, is the issue requiring a rep. How long has it been since you messaged on FB?

I also see that you mentioned you will be back in Canada in a week and I see that the page xclisive offer in your screenshot says 26 days. Do you still have enough time since this screenshot was taken? Otherwise to get a callback I would register for a VoIP line that gives a Canadian number for free. Then you can receive callbacks with a data connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would also wait for black friday to see if any other plans that might be preferable comes out 

I guess I will just have to stay with Rogers if I can't get to talk to an agent and sort out what is included in the plans before purchasing.  Not being able to speak to an agent might be a deal breaker. It shouldn't be that hard to request a chat reply or an email.  Or a number to call myself.  The plan offered was not Tab specific. My boyfriend owns his phone and does not have a tab. The phone was not purchased from Koodo either so the plan has nothing to do with a tab or an upgrade. 

It is even worse trying to reach a live person at Koodo over black Friday so that really isn't a solution and doesn't answer anything about their current add ons and coverage for reaching US numbers. 

It's been about 24 hours since reaching out to Koodo and no sign of a person yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I guess I will just have to stay with Rogers if I can't get to talk to an agent and sort out what is included in the plans before purchasing.  Not being able to speak to an agent might be a deal breaker. It shouldn't be that hard to request a chat reply or an email.  Or a number to call myself.  The plan offered was not Tab specific. My boyfriend owns his phone and does not have a tab. The phone was not purchased from Koodo either so the plan has nothing to do with a tab or an upgrade. 

It is even worse trying to reach a live person at Koodo over black Friday so that really isn't a solution and doesn't answer anything about their current add ons and coverage for reaching US numbers. 

It's been about 24 hours since reaching out to Koodo and no sign of a person yet

Well, If you insisted talking to someone while you weren't physically in Canada and didn't have a Canadian number to receive incoming call, Rogers or Telus/Bell might be the carrier for you. Going to Koodo as a new customer and asking for special treatment is a difficult request. Good luck anyway.

Regarding the plan, did your boyfriend switch yet? I wonder if the plan change going through normally. 

Communication of any sort or clarification of terms is too much to ask for before signing up, got it. Since I can't clarify with an agent, maybe someone in the help community can clarify then which plans have access to which "perks" and what the cost is to add an additional one.  There doesn't appear to be any consistency in the wording for which plans have international SMS already and which ones need an add on for it.  The cheapest plans seem to have it. But there doesn't appear to be consistency with the $55-60 plans that are listed. That is why I want to get the same plan that he has so that it definitely does have that feature and doesn't have to trade others to get it.  The new plans on the site are also not a base 30gb for that price.  How long does the "bonus data" included last?  When does that data disappear and a new plan have to be chosen to get any additional data back? I am trying to get away from having "bonus data" that expires after 6 months or a year not switch into that blindly without even being able to find out the details. 

If a $55 plan is going to need a $15 add on for long distance calls if a rep can't add the other add on, may even be charged 15 cents per text and is also going to drop to 8gb after a year that is what I want to know up front. 

Since accepting the offer, my boyfriend has said his account keeps having errors and won't display anything about his plan or go to the self serve options. So who knows.. maybe his plan change went through maybe it didn't. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@LeahL95 Check out the free TextNow app - you can register for a free Canadian phone number which you can use for unlimited calling and texting to/from Canada & USA over Wi-Fi or mobile data from anywhere. If you need to speak to Koodo via a Canadian number, you can have Koodo call that number.

I tried to use TextNow but get an error message that it is not available in my country. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I personally use Fongo but I have noticed that some VoIP services will not let you register out of country. If fongo also won't work, you may try to use a VPN to register. Kaspersky has a a free VPN to use for a bit of data a day.

To answer your questions : international sms was standard for plans with Koodo. The new launch of perks has removed that from being included. The perks you can get depend on the cost of the plan. The higher the base cost, the more perks you can choose from. When you pick a plan on the Koodo site, it will show which perks you can get included. You can pick additional perks  as add-ons for whatever the cost is. You can see when you select the plan the detailed breakdown of what that plan includes.

The 55-60 plans indeed consistently have Canada wide SMS and international sms is a perk/add-on option. I'm not a fan of them monetizing international sms like this. For most of Koodo’s history, international sms has been included in plans. Hopefully they'll change it back. Only two of the starter plans have international sms atm. The starter plans are low cost options where you cannot get a phone tab. I guess they haven't been updated yet to remove it from those plans.

The bonus data is permanent unless it says otherwise. These bonuses are permanent. It doesn't disappear.

Uimited US calling would indeed require a 15 dollar add-on atm with Koodo. You mentioned coverage for US calls? I'm not sure what you mean. Wherever you have reception while in Canada, you'll be able to make calls to US numbers at pay per use or unlimited rate.

As for reaching out to a rep, it really depends on the company if they will call an international number to talk to a customer. Koodo doesn't do emails except for the webstore. You can get assistance here, then on FB/Twitter, then on a callback, depending on what you need.

If you need more questions answered that we cannot answer, then we can flag a rep to assist you further. Let us know if you have any other questions we can help you with.

Thanks Goran! 

I don't really know much about the VoIP apps and don't know if I'll go that route right now just for one potential call. It seems like most of them have a monthly fee.  It sounds like the plan I was hoping to activate might be a long shot but the date it would have been available to should still be like 18 days after I get back to Canada so I will have to try then if I don't hear back. And maybe then by black Friday they will have a more comparable plan. It seems though as time goes on there are less features included and just more data instead.

If your still trying to get a callback I finally got to pick a time unfortunately it’s not till 9:30 am tomorrow morning but what I had to do was after it asked for my phone number it had me log in then I said callback and it said scheduled a callback then asked if this was the number I want them to call I said yes then when they ask what’s it’s for type in #SocialCare and it came up with times for a callback