Koodo Community

False Advertising?

• 24 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Just wanted to share a pretty disappointing experience so you can plan ahead when Adding Lines to Koodo.

During the Cyber Monday  Deal in 2022, there was a promo for Free Pixel Bids with purchase of a Pixel 7 on a New Activation. 

I added and activated 2 two new lines on the existing Koodo account but did not receive the Pixel Buds.

Called in and support told me that I do not qualify for the Free Pixel Buds because it is for New Account Activations where Add a Line is excluded.

This was news to me because I was always told New Activations = New Customer or New Line. But that was not the case and New Activations in this case is only for new accounts. 

The justification was because I get discounts from Add a Line so it is one or the other. That is fair, I was not expecting a discount so I chose not to split my accounts to get the Pixel Buds and instead opt for the discount instead.

A month later when I got the 2nd month bill I did not have an Add a Line discount. 

Called in again and was told I am not eligible for the Add a Line discount because it is only for BYOD. So overall a very frustrating experience. 

In summary, there is no benefit to Add a Line in my situation.

Having 3 separate accounts would have netted me more value.

I would have done so if the Koodo agent told me I would not be getting any Add a Line discounts or benefits for adding a line but they told me I would.

I made decisions to moved a line from Fido and Shaw based on Koodo's misinformation and very questionable advertising. 

I moved my main line away from Koodo once because of something similar but decided to give them another try. Now I am just waiting for the right opportunity to leave with all 3 lines and never look back. 

​​​​​The only offer given by their friendly staff was $50 on the two lines. Which is still half the value of what I would have gotten if I was not misinformed by Koodo plus hours invested into helping Koodo identify the farce of their marketing.

​​​​

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was also under the same impression that, new activation meant "new line" or "new account". Let me flag a rep to look into this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @Sinr  We have looked into your account and saw that you managed to speak to a rep and accepted a solution/offer that was offered to you. 

@Boa_Guy Koodo yes, I accepted the solution because it was costing me a lot of time and energy. So it is diminishing returns for me. It was also not the resolution I wanted which I also shared with the rep because it was still unfavorable to me.

Though I accepted the solution, I did mention to the rep that I will be sharing this with the community to help them avoid misleading information from Koodo. 

So for the benefit of the community.

Can you please clarify the definition of New Activation and the terms of the 2022 Cyber Monday Pixel 7 + Free Pixel Buds deal? 

@Boa_Guy Koodo yes, I accepted the solution because it was costing me a lot of time and energy. So it is diminishing returns for me. It was also not the resolution I wanted which I also shared with the rep because it was still unfavorable to me.

Though I accepted the solution, I did mention to the rep that I will be sharing this with the community to help them avoid misleading information from Koodo. 

So for the benefit of the community.

Can you please clarify the definition of New Activation and the terms of the 2022 Cyber Monday Pixel 7 + Free Pixel Buds deal? 

@Boa_Guy Koodo any clarification would be appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Sinr 

Thanks for your feedback!

New activations are considered the activations on a brand new account. Add-a line activations refer to the activation or one of more lines on an existing account (that already has at least one line active).

The Free Pixel Buds offer has been available for new activations only. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Koodo

You should use different wording.

If the promo says  “Free Pixel Bids with purchase of a Pixel 7 on a New Activation. ” For me, adding a new line onto existing account is also new activation.  So I would assume my new line activation is also qualified for free buds.

If you want to apply that promo only for “brand new account”, then you should say  ““Free Pixel Bids with purchase of a Pixel 7 on a New ACOUNT Activation.””