Koodo Community
Question

Easy Roam question

• 19 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Just a question,  if I remove easy roam from my add on in self serve does it automatically go to pay per use and do I have the option of reactivating it in the self serve if I need it in the future,  thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, you could remove it and add it back later if you wish.

Regarding the payperuse rate, it is an another story. US roaming is automaticaly on for postpaid service. You can’t disable it and would pay the payperuse rate without easyroam. International roaming (countries outside of Canada and US) would require the voice and data international roaming add-on to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@mickey_9999 I would not recommend taking it off. It’s a zero dollar feature unless it’s used. By taking it off you leave yourslef open to pay-per-use charges which can be significantly higher than the daily roaming fee. You get zero protection from the feature being removed.  You could still be connected to towers and even small data consumption can cost quite a bit with pay-per-use.  

Userlevel 1

@Bernard Koodo There is a specific use case where it does help a bit: Turning off Data and Data Roaming on Koodo/Telus lines while roaming on LTE networks does still generate a few bytes to kilobytes of IMS traffic for registration of VoLTE and VoWiFi (among other things). This traffic is treated as user generated payload (therefor triggers EasyRoam or pay-per use roam) by the Koodo/Telus billing backend. Furthermore it is not blocked by the phone’s “Data off” or “Data Roaming off” settings as it is a requirement for the establishment and maintenance of an LTE connection when VoLTE and VoWiFi are enabled on the phone.

I have since figured it out for myself: Disable LTE on my Koodo SIM when roaming, as I am using an eSIM with cheap roaming data instead. I never actually make calls, send texts or use data on my Koodo line when roaming. I strictly use it to receive text messages from online services that use SMS for two-factor authentication. An elaborate scheme of unconditional call forwarding to a VoIP number (activated before leaving Canada) and in turn forwarding that to my local eSIM number sorts out the receiving calls portion.

Following that principle I usually never have randomg mistriggers of EasyRoam or Pay Per Use Data. If for some odd reason it still does activate I get dinged the $5 minimum for data roaming on pay per use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@felixk You make some exellent points! Thanks for adding your awesome insight.