Koodo Community
Solved

Data Block w/o Data Plan

• 8 March 2022
  • 7 replies

I have a plan where I don’t get, use, or pay for data. I’ve never used it. I have a data block on and am wanting to take it off. I send and receive pictures via text using Wi-fi currently (with the data block). If I took off the data block, would sending and receiving pictures via text use data and put me into a deficit? Or can I just live my normal life since I don’t have any data in the first place and I can save $3/mo for a redundant charge? I don’t know much about data.    

Thank you very much to anyone who has input!

icon

Best answer by Sophia 8 March 2022, 01:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The data block shouldn’t prevent mms from sending. It’s supposed to block all data but mms.

Depends on your phone and how you have it set to avoid data charges. There is potential for a tiny amount of data to leak before your phone stops data usage, if you retsart it. It’s never happaned to me, but it seems to happen sometimes.

Thank you Goran!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can save $3/mo for a redundant charge?

One way to definitely save money is on prepaid. You will probably pay the same for unlimited minutes ($25) and it even includes some data that you can use if you wish (no need to if you don’t wish). It also allows for unlimited international MMS, just like your plan. No need for a data block - once your data is used up, it’ll just stop while still allowing to send/receive picture messages.

The only thing to be aware of is international calls, because you can only call a limited number of countries with prepaid, plus you can’t roam outside of North America.

But if those are no objection, I can heartily recommend switching :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I like Sophia's suggestion. But if you stay with postpaid and are not too tech savvy about how to prevent data leakage, I recommend keeping the data block as uncontrolled data leakage will start occurring once the data block is removed and you leave your wifi connection.

If you turn off data using the normal phone settings your MMS will not be able to send or receive either. So it's really a tough choice 

Thank you Dennis! I think I'll go for that mix. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The data block shouldn’t prevent mms from sending. It’s supposed to block all data but mms.

Depends on your phone and how you have it set to avoid data charges. There is potential for a tiny amount of data to leak before your phone stops data usage, if you retsart it. It’s never happaned to me, but it seems to happen sometimes.

That actually depends on the version of the data block. The $3/month data block allows MMS. The free older data block blocks all data outright.

Ah okay, I’ll make sure to note that. Thank you Timo :)