Koodo Community
Solved

Data at 5G speeds up to 250 Mbps

• 29 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi There

I got a text saying I could upgrade my plan for $55 to 50gig and 5g. When you look at the plan it says 5g and then (Data at 5G speeds up to 250 Mbps)

Can someone please explain in a bit more detail what this means? Does it mean after 250mbps that you drop down to 4g?

I checked the map coverage and the Kodoo one says only 4g and 4g lite. 

But when it says to check the telus map, my location shows as 5g

Compare our coverage

Koodo runs on TELUS' award winning 5G and 4G LTE networks. Our below 4G coverage map is under construction, but you can check out the TELUS coverage map here for an updated look at our 5G coverage.

So based on the above, I can utulize 5g where I am, but I just want to understand more about the limit proposed. 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by rikkster 30 August 2023, 00:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The limit refers to the speed cap of “up to” so many Mbps. In real-world usage, it’s unlikely your phone will ever see speeds of 250 Mbps on a 5G network. This is why the term “up to” is used. Two carriers provide 5G speeds exceeding 135 Mbps, and one that offers 98.1 Mbps.

5G Experience Report | 2022 | Open Signal

As long as you’re in an area with 5G coverage, you should be able to enjoy 5G until you have depleted your 50 GB data allotment. If you lose connectivity to the 5G network, your phone should automatically fall back to 4G with speeds of up to 100 Mbps.