Koodo Community
Question

Changing 4G plan

• 18 September 2023
  • 11 replies

How do I get a better plan? 

I’ve got the same plan I had 3 years ago with 2GB of 4G data and nationwide calling and texting which is all I need.  I don’t need 5G, though a little more data would be nice in case I come up close to my cap (which I have once or twice. I never had a tab and don’t want one.

If I were a new customer, I could get 10GB of 4G data for $39 or $30GB for $45 with all of the above, but because I have a plan that costs more than that, Self-Serve won’t give me these options. So I’m stuck with a low data cap or upgrading to 5G which I don’t want at a higher cost.  Everything Koodu and Telus does seems only to be to extract more money out of you each month,  rather than save you any. 

If I went to Freedom or Chatr or Virgin or even Public Mobile (which Telus now owns I could get 10-30GB of 4G plus voice and data for $34-$40 a month.  Why won’t Koodu try to retain me? Why do they make it so bloody difficult and expensive to pay a reasonable amount for what everybody else offers, including Koodu for their new customers?

Or do I have to go to the competition?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well, Koodo rate plan has changed over time, and it is not fixed. During promotional periods, the plans have always been much better compared to the current offers.

So, you have two options: you can either change your plan through self-service or try to get a new phone to see if a better rate becomes available. If neither  works, you might have to wait till promotion time or contact Koodo directly and ask a representative if there are any personal offers available for you..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mentioned that you never had a tab. It means you opened your account as a BYOD plan, right?

What plans fo you see when you log into your self serve and tried to change your plan?  Is there $45 for  30GB?

If not, you should check a prepaid plans if you don’t need a tab.  Public mobile is good ( I have an account for my MIL). Freedom wasn’t for me, but it was long time ago. (Maybe the connection get better…?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Indeed the 39 dollar plan states that it is not available for rate plan change for existing customers. You can schedule a callback to see if they can offer the plan. Otherwise do what’s best for you. I would wait on an tab until the upcoming Black Friday deals in a couple months. But you could certainly see about the plan change for now. 

But also there’s some really good prepaid deals right now, and as Mayumi suggested, it could be worth it for you. 

@Dinh, yes i understand that.  I have received numerous offers during promotional periods to change my plan but as I stated in the original post, every single time the plans are for more money, and not less. And I ahve tried several times through self-service to try to get a better rate to change my plan to, but as I said, I never get a better rate - just one for 10-20 times as much data as I use for a lot more money. Never anything cheaper. 

This is why I thought I would come to the community to see what they knew.  Also there is no contact information for Koodu so you cannot request a callback anywhere in self-serve to ask about a cheaper plan.  I’ve been trapped here for more than a year. 

@Mayumi - yes I BYOD. The only plans I see when I log in under self-serve are 20GB for $55 and 30GB for $65.  There are no other plans.

@Goran,  yes waiting for Black Friday might work, though I didn’t see anything last year.  But I guess I should investigate prepaid.  I’m not quite sure what that is anyway - I thought that was only for people who could only afford a certain amount of data every month  and couldn’t go over. Or something like that. 

...or maybe I just change now to one of the other majors.

Userlevel 4

You could try chatting with Koodo through Messenger as well.  I have read in other forums that they tend to be more willing to give better deals here.  Have never tried it personally though.  Unfortunately, all the telcos play the same game.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh, yes i understand that.  I have received numerous offers during promotional periods to change my plan but as I stated in the original post, every single time the plans are for more money, and not less. And I ahve tried several times through self-service to try to get a better rate to change my plan to, but as I said, I never get a better rate - just one for 10-20 times as much data as I use for a lot more money. Never anything cheaper. 

This is why I thought I would come to the community to see what they knew.  Also there is no contact information for Koodu so you cannot request a callback anywhere in self-serve to ask about a cheaper plan.  I’ve been trapped here for more than a year. 

Did you only wait for them to send you offer or did you check promotional offer yourself?. Last year during the black Friday and Boxing week events, the offers were way better than the current deal.

The community is full of customer like you are, we can’t give you any good offer here unfortunately. You might contact Koodo directly and ask for personal deal but nothing is guaranteed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid has a set amount of data, yes. More in a month would require changing plans or getting data add-ons. You pay ahead of time, instead of after the time. There are no tabs available, and very limited roaming options. But it works well overall. 

I’m surprised that you saw nothing. It was the best plans offered in Canada per GB of data probably ever. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

...or maybe I just change now to one of the other majors.

I still think you should wait for Black Friday, but it doesnt hurt to swap carriers now and then switch again during Black Friday.  Just make sure you are not getting a new phone on a tab…. that might have promo pricing that you need to pay back if you decide to leave early