Koodo Community
Question

"CAN-US Shock-Free™ data" - HOW DOES THIS WORK??????

• 15 November 2023
  • 16 replies

Hi there, with this plan: 100 GB of CAN-US Shock-Free™ data at 5G speed

Easy roam is listed as perk of the plan: Easy Roam is a great feature that allows you to keep using your phone when you’re travelling abroad. It doesn’t cost anything to add Easy Roam to your plan, and you’ll only be charged for the days you use it ($14 per day U.S. and $16 Internationally). For more info, check out our Easy Roam help page.

Which is really confusing...

Questions:

1. Does it mean that I can use my data in the US without roaming? Do I pay $14/day to use my data in US?
  2. Do I need to turn my data off?
  3. How does this work?

This topic has been closed for comments

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1. Yes and no you don't have to pay easyroam

2. No

3. Check out this link, it should also explain other questions in more detail https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/traveling-with-your-canada-us-rate-plan

Does this plan apply when travelling in Hawaii? I see Hawaii included in the list of US easy roam destinations so I wanted to make sure that Hawaii isn’t excluded in the Canada-US plans. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Thomas2828 Yes. With this plan, which by the way, is only available to existing Koodo customers, you will no longer have to worry about roaming. It essentially replaces your daily US roaming fee. To confirm, Hawaii is included:

Very happy to see this US-CAN plan come up!  I switched my plan over to the US-CAN plan and saw Easy Roam is still on my account.  Will having Easy Roam conflict with the CAN-US plan or is it best to remove it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Rain91 It will not. At least that’s how it was designed that it wouldn’t.  We’ve had a number of customers already using the plan and we have had not any reports suggesting issues.

100 GB of CAN-US Shock-Free Data package for $60.00  at 5G speed- I am looking to switch to this has I am heading to the US this  weekend ….Does this include the Easy Roam as it is not listed as a perk ? Details below

• 100 GB of CAN-US Shock-Free Data at 5G speed
  • Unlimited Canada-US minutes
  • Call Display+
  • Voicemail
  • Call Waiting and Conference Calling
  • Additional data $13/100 MB

Pick 1 FREE Perk

Perk options:

• Premium Voicemail
  • Unlimited International SMS (from Canada)
  • Rollover Data
  • Unlimited Long Distance Pack
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Perks are a separate thing.

Perks are extra features you can select.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/pickyourperk

Easy roam is an add-on that treats roaming so it is not pay per use roaming fees.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam

The CAN-US plan just expands your home area from just Canada wide (in the past it may have been Province wide) to Canada and US wide being your home area.  Since it is part of your plan permanently, it is not a perk or an add-on and cannot be removed.

So with the same plan is texting from Canada to the USA or while in USA texting covered?

Or do I need to have the pick a perk international texting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@BigSexy You are covered for the example you mentioned. You do not need the international texting perk for it. 

Thank you so much for the help.

i really love that with this new $60 plan, I can go to the USA this weekend and not be charged the $14/day roaming fee now! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My mother-in-law is going to Hawaii in December so I changed per plan and now I'm the new #1 son-in-law 😁

@Bernard Koodo 

Thanks for being so helpful. My last question is when I signed up last year I recieved a $20 per month credit (for the 2 years) for each of the two lines on  my account.  If I change to this new plan will I lose these discounts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Bernard Koodo

Thanks for being so helpful. My last question is when I signed up last year I recieved a $20 per month credit (for the 2 years) for each of the two lines on  my account.  If I change to this new plan will I lose these discounts?

If you are referring to the black friday credits, then they will remain if the plan you are switching to is the same or higher in price.

And if it’s $5 cheaper then last years Black Friday’s plan? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are switching to a cheaper plan, then the black friday credits will fall off

@Dennis thank you