Koodo Community
Question

Buying SIM instore and activating online

• 20 February 2023
  • 3 replies

I don’t want to wait for the SIM to be shipped but don’t want to pay the $50 activation.  Can I buy it in store and activate through self-serve online?  Is it still $5 for the SIM in store?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, it’s not quite that easy. If you order online, Koodo will ship an activated SIM. You could try and sign up for a plan and then call them to active your own SIM that you purchase from a store, but there is no guarantee that it will work. It all depends on the online rep that you get.

Thanks for the response.  Do you happen to know how long it takes for the SIM to arrive in the mail?  I’m going on vacation next week and want to use my phone to roam in the US so that’s why I want it faster.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks for the response.  Do you happen to know how long it takes for the SIM to arrive in the mail?  I’m going on vacation next week and want to use my phone to roam in the US so that’s why I want it faster.

It depends on where you live and the date Koodo activates your service.

If you want a SIM quickly, I recommend you could wait until you receive an activation email from them and use the email to create a selfserve first. If at that time, the SIM hasn’t arrived, you can visit a Koodo store and ask a rep there to switch to a different SIM for you.