Koodo Community
Question

Additional phone with no sim or line

• 6 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone, 

I would like to get a phone for my daughter, but I want to keep mine, I don’t want to change.  I would give her the new one and keep my old one.  Can I don this, just get the phone without a sim card or new phone number?  She will use it as a @ipod@…. no text or anything, just internet.

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you mean you would like to purchase a new phone on the tab (on your own line) and then give the old phone to your daughter? If so, then absolutely, you can do that. All you need to do is switch your SIM card from the old phone to your new one. The new phone will arrive with an empty SIM that you can just use as a spare, or give away, or even sell.

As for your daughter, you could make her really happy with a cheap prepaid plan such as Public Mobile - $15 per month would give her 100 minutes, 250MB data and unlimited texting :)

Edit: oops I read that you want to give her your NEW phone - of course you can! In that case it’s even easier, no SIM swapping required!

Thank you for your reply…  Basically my daughter will get the new one, a Samsung  and I want to keep the one I have, without changing anything..(I know….  but I like my Huawai… lolll).  So the new phone will be for her, but no new phone number or sim card…  just like if I buy it from a person.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, sorry I misread you at first. I had already edited my reply :) So yes, what you want want is absolutely possible. Keep in mind though that some Tab options require a plan change, and if you have a Tab currently, you’d have to pay that off first (plus any remaining Tab bonus). But if none of that is an objection, then you can absolutely give her the new phone without any issues.

Thank you!!!!  May I ask…  what is a “Tab”…  Sorry, english is my 2nd language…  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone you want to get for your daughter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Here’s more information about the Tab: https://www.koodomobile.com/tab

Basically it means that you don’t buy a phone outright, but you pay it off over the course of two years. If you purchased a phone on the Tab previously, you would have to pay that off first. Also, you can’t get a Tab on just about any plan, Koodo usually reserves that to their more expensive/newer plans.

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.  Pre Ownedé.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.  Pre Ownedé.

They are having on sale for that device now.

So, you can buy it under your account/ line. And I assume you don't have any tab on your account since you mentioned that you are using Huawei.

It will be  $1/mo for next 24 months for the phone.  They might ask you to pick a new plan if you have one of older plan. 

This phone including $666 tab bonus. It means if you update your phone or cancel your service within 24month, then you will need to pay back the tab bonus.